× Members

Can payment be made conditional on treatment?

• Survivor
13 years 4 months ago #36310 by Survivor
Different people have different views of what treatment is appropriate or effective. Should it really be someone from the DWP deciding what it appropriate? Come to it, should a doctor have the final say on what treatment is appropriate except for someone unable to make a decision for themselves?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• originaldave
13 years 4 months ago #36320 by originaldave
Replied by originaldave on topic Re:Can payment be made conditional on treatment?
Survivor wrote:

Different people have different views of what treatment is appropriate or effective. Should it really be someone from the DWP deciding what it appropriate? Come to it, should a doctor have the final say on what treatment is appropriate except for someone unable to make a decision for themselves?

treatment is supposed to be by informed consent on the understanding that the treatment will be for the good of the person undergoing treatment

More
13 years 4 months ago #36325 by Derek4
The OP's question is very vague. M didn't say what benefit is being claimed (assuming it is a benefit payment) so I don't see the point in having a discussion until we all know what we are talking about.

• dean stockton
13 years 4 months ago #36328 by dean stockton
Replied by dean stockton on topic Re:Can payment be made conditional on treatment?

why would anyone not want treatment?

Because of the risks of becoming worse after treatment.

I have an AVM and was told the risks of anything going wrong was less than 1% so selected to go ahead, after all less than 1% put the odds greatly in my favour.
After the op I found out that I had nearly died, had fits & been in the ICU for 4 days.
So IMO any doctor forcing someone to have treatment for a condition that has even the slightest of risks should be charged with the murder of that person if they die due to the operation, or pay compensation if they end up worse than before the op.
Why should a doctor working for either the NHS, ATOS or the DWP force someone into having treatment? An NHS doctor wouldn't but one working for the other 2 are more likely to tell a claimant to seek treatment or lose money IMHO

More
13 years 4 months ago #36330 by papasmurf
Replied by papasmurf on topic Re:Can payment be made conditional on treatment?
Marshal_534 wrote:

Is it legal for payment to be made contingent on undertaking a specific treatment?

If you mean could a drug addict be asked to get counselling and a rehabilitation course as a condition of getting benefits then I am pretty certain that is legal.
I can't think of any other instance where such a policy would be legal.

• originaldave
13 years 4 months ago #36337 by originaldave
Replied by originaldave on topic Re:Can payment be made conditional on treatment?
dean stockton wrote:

why would anyone not want treatment?

Because of the risks of becoming worse after treatment.

I have an AVM and was told the risks of anything going wrong was less than 1% so selected to go ahead, after all less than 1% put the odds greatly in my favour.
After the op I found out that I had nearly died, had fits & been in the ICU for 4 days.
So IMO any doctor forcing someone to have treatment for a condition that has even the slightest of risks should be charged with the murder of that person if they die due to the operation, or pay compensation if they end up worse than before the op.
Why should a doctor working for either the NHS, ATOS or the DWP force someone into having treatment? An NHS doctor wouldn't but one working for the other 2 are more likely to tell a claimant to seek treatment or lose money IMHO

your selecctive posting of post is interesting and done to help your post,which then goes off at a tangent talking about forced treatment which was not what anyone was talking about

nor I doubt was your treatment someone would have given you info and you would have signed a form to let them go ahead

odds very good but you where unlucky any treatment carried risk a ct scan has a 1 in 10,000 risk of killing you by giving you cancer the local given when stiches are given killed 4 people 2009

a common endoscope operation kills about 44 a year

your risk of dying from not having treatment what was that ? avm ? if it goes pop few make it to the table ?

the problem we are going to have in future is they could well bring in rules that all sort of problems have to be treated our you wont get benefits, I can see it happening and where some people will take your postion others will take the notice of this point of view

www.b12d.org/content/benefits-trap-%E2%8...refuse-b12-treatment

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.