× Members

Next steps after ib medical

• marijo
  • Topic Author
13 years 5 months ago #36612 by marijo
Next steps after ib medical was created by marijo
Hi

I have looked for information and cant seem to find it. What I would like to know is:

I recently had a review IB (contribution based) medical and assume that in the likely event that I do not qualify what are the likely outcomes

Do I get transferred automatically to ESA and whatever group or will they just cut me off and I have to apply fresh for ESA.

What are work related groups and support groups. Does that mean I have to go fortnightly into the jobcentre?

Many thanks

Marijo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #36614 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:Next steps after ib medical
marijo

Assuming you are not in the two test areas of Burnley and Aberdeen, then as far as I aware your options are;

Appeal the decision, if you are successful you will be put back onto IB.

Make a new application for ESA.

Apply for JSA, providing you believe you can fulfill the requirement to seek work. This would require a regular trip to your local Job Centre.

Become economically inactive.

ESA is a points based system similar to but different from IB, you need 15 points to be have Limited Capability to Work, which will put you in the Work Realted Activity Group. You are required to attend six Work Focused Interviews while you are in the WRAG.

For the those with more serious disabilities there is the Support Group. Entry to this is not points based, instead you must meet one or more of the criteria.

You can read about ESA and both of the groups in the "Understanding ESA" document in the Members Area.

Hope this helps

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Survivor
13 years 5 months ago #36616 by Survivor
Replied by Survivor on topic Re: Next steps after ib medical
If you're on IB and you fail your medical, you can appeal, in which case you can claim ESA whilst you are appealing, otherwise you won't get ESA.

If you don't appeal, or if you fail your appeal, you won't get ESA unless your condition deteriorates, in which case you can make a fresh claim for ESA.

The work related activity group (WRAG) and the support groups relate to ESA. If you're put in the WRAG, you have to participate in work-related activity which could mean, for example, attending interviews or attending training on filling in CVs etc. If you're put in the support group, you don't have to do this, and you get more money (though not a lot.)

If you don't get either IB or ESA, you can claim JSA. If you do that, you will have to enter into a jobseeker's agreement with the job centre, which is a sort of plan of how you're going to find work. You will have to sign on, and when you do so, you will have to be able to show what active steps you have taken to find work, in accordance with your agreement.

• Survivor
13 years 5 months ago #36617 by Survivor
Cross-posted with Gordon, but I think we've basically said the same thing.

• Survivor
13 years 5 months ago #36623 by Survivor
I forgot to mention that you can put in a claim for ESA after failing IB without your condition deteriorating. I know that if you fail an ESA medical, you have to wait six months, but I'm not sure after failing an IB medical and I'm now checking the point. It may be this evening before I come back to you on this unless one of my fellow moderators comes to the rescue in the meantime.

More
13 years 5 months ago #36632 by Derek4
Replied by Derek4 on topic Re:Next steps after ib medical
This is a fairly complex one. See the link below.

Welfare Rights Bulletin 210:Incapacity to limited capacity

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.