× Members

distance & minutes before severe discomfort

• keira30
  • Topic Author
13 years 5 months ago #36837 by keira30
I suffer from fibromyalgia and i am in pain when i start walking, i'm just finding it the question difficult as i'm totally hopeless with how to measure distance and in minutes, can anybody help?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Survivor
13 years 5 months ago #36839 by Survivor
If you don't have a tape measure, one handspan is about eight inches/twenty centimetres and an A4 page is eleven and three quarter inches. You (or a friend) could measure out a corridor at home or maybe a route from the end of one room through a corridor to the end of another. You could then walk back and forth.

You could also use handspans to measure a broom or mop handle and use that to measure out the distance. With a larger item like that, you could measure a garden path.

Alternatively, you could get someone who walks comfortably to measure the length of their paces by pacing five or ten paces and measuring the distance, and then they could measure a distance along the road.

Don't forget, though, that if you are in pain or severe discomfort straight away then say so when you fill in your forms/have your medical(s).

More
13 years 5 months ago #36997 by mikmeg
You must be frank and state that there is no time /distance, before discomfort starts.If you suffer from that condition it is always discomfort and moving to scale does not make it worse only unbearable.
Immeasureable in my opinion.

More
13 years 5 months ago #37039 by Jeff1
Hi Keria30, Dont forget that it is well established that any wlking whilst in severe discomfort and pain is disregarded. All details are in the guides on this site. Best Wishes

• baggsy
13 years 5 months ago #37102 by baggsy
I find that the fact that severe discomfort and pain in disregarded quite unbelievable. I was asked this question when I attended DLA tribunal and it is very hard to measure when one is in constant pain. I am awaiting now tribunal for ESA even though I have DLA higher rate mobility and lower rate of care. It is all rather bizarre to me

• originaldave
13 years 5 months ago #37114 by originaldave
Replied by originaldave on topic Re: distance & minutes before severe discomfort
baggsy wrote:

I find that the fact that severe discomfort and pain in disregarded quite unbelievable. I was asked this question when I attended DLA tribunal and it is very hard to measure when one is in constant pain. I am awaiting now tribunal for ESA even though I have DLA higher rate mobility and lower rate of care. It is all rather bizarre to me

I think and I might be wrong but by "disregarded" they mean its as if you had not walked ?

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.