× Members

Looking for a DWP Publication

• originaldave
  • Topic Author
13 years 4 months ago #37989 by originaldave
Replied by originaldave on topic Re:Looking for a DWP Publication
radiation is not like that... visible light hits something most is reflected back some will of course heat the object but radiation from xrays passes through objects and will off course leave some radiation behind in the film

processing the xray plate will of course wash most the radiation off, but some will be left behind

in small amounts no problems for most people but spend your days in a room where xrays are stored in bulk and you start to increase the odds of getting cancer from the xrays

one CT scan has a 1 in 10,000 chance of giving you cancer xray belly 1 in 100,000 chance

bone scan about 1 in a 1000,000

of course without even having an xray your chances are 1 in 5

:)

you cant do anything about that, but needless exposure can be cut so as the DWP dont want staff claiming ESA or DLA for radiation exposure they try not to ask for xrays :)

there will be a time depending on the half life of the sourse when the xrays are no longer radiactive

a few 1,000 years about the same time as getting an esa appeal heard these days ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
13 years 4 months ago #37991 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Re:Looking for a DWP Publication
X-rays are a form of ionizing radiation. When normal light hits an atom, it can't change the atom in any significant way. But when an X-ray hits an atom, it can knock electrons off the atom to create an ion, an electrically-charged atom. Free electrons then collide with other atoms to create more ions.
An ion's electrical charge can lead to unnatural chemical reactions inside cells. Among other things, the charge can break DNA chains. A cell with a broken strand of DNA will either die or the DNA will develop a mutation. If a lot of cells die, the body can develop various diseases. If the DNA mutates, a cell may become cancerous, and this cancer may spread. If the mutation is in a sperm or an egg cell, it may lead to birth defects. Because of all these risks, doctors use X-rays sparingly today.

They are helpful in that x-radiation helps diagnose and treat illnesses in humans, pets and other animals. It is also an important part of scientific research, agriculture and countless industrial uses, such as the inspection of welds in construction, car manufacturing and aircraft maintenance.

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• tb1uk
13 years 4 months ago #38010 by tb1uk
Replied by tb1uk on topic Re:Looking for a DWP Publication
in the past 18 months, i've had 5 X-rays, 1 CT scan, 1 MRI, 1 barium meal scan, 2 ultrasound scans. all to prove last years ATOS medical report was wrong. i should glow in the dark

• originaldave
  • Topic Author
13 years 4 months ago #38015 by originaldave
tb1uk wrote:

in the past 18 months, i've had 5 X-rays, 1 CT scan, 1 MRI, 1 barium meal scan, 2 ultrasound scans. all to prove last years ATOS medical report was wrong. i should glow in the dark

:laugh: I can be that had 2 cts an mri in a week I also took part in a trail where they put a radioactive element in me that was so powerfull it set the background warning system off in x ray at the local hospital and for a week was kept away from expecting ladies and small children :)

• originaldave
  • Topic Author
13 years 4 months ago #38017 by originaldave
Jima1 wrote:

X-rays are a form of ionizing radiation. When normal light hits an atom, it can't change the atom in any significant way. But when an X-ray hits an atom, it can knock electrons off the atom to create an ion, an electrically-charged atom. Free electrons then collide with other atoms to create more ions.
An ion's electrical charge can lead to unnatural chemical reactions inside cells. Among other things, the charge can break DNA chains. A cell with a broken strand of DNA will either die or the DNA will develop a mutation. If a lot of cells die, the body can develop various diseases. If the DNA mutates, a cell may become cancerous, and this cancer may spread. If the mutation is in a sperm or an egg cell, it may lead to birth defects. Because of all these risks, doctors use X-rays sparingly today.

They are helpful in that x-radiation helps diagnose and treat illnesses in humans, pets and other animals. It is also an important part of scientific research, agriculture and countless industrial uses, such as the inspection of welds in construction, car manufacturing and aircraft maintenance.

normal light of course can affect some atoms thats why clothes fade and you can take pictures the silver halides are affected by the visible part of the electromagnetic spectrum .... and why granny had to polish the silver too

come to think of it x rays are just a different part of the spectrum or it was when i did my BSc .... then did dimensional stability of photographic emulsions and sensitometry for masters B)

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.