× Members

Back log in appeals causes judges to refuse appeal

More
13 years 4 months ago #37949 by Crazydiamond
The simple fact of the matter is if tribunal judges are discussing appellants' cases with Atos, which I hasten to add that I very much doubt that this is happening, this is unlawful and would leave the Tribunal's Service subject to legal action, as it flies in the face of Article 6(1) of The Human Rights Act.

I think the OP has misunderstood the position as Derek has said, and is in fact likely to be confusing a tribunal judge with the DWP.

I can only reiterate that in my opinion the situation as described involving the Tribunals Service and Atos, is a non-event.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
13 years 4 months ago #37967 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Re:Back log in appeals causes judges to refuse appeal
Hi CD,

I agree with you. As well as breaching Article 6, Right to a fair trial (hearing),
they would also be breaching protocol as described in the Benchbook, a copy of which is in the members area.

Have a restful weekend.

Jim

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
13 years 4 months ago #37968 by Crazydiamond
Hi Jim,

I hope both you and Pat have a good weekend.

It is snowing and very cold here at the moment, so I think it's a case of battening down the hatches for the next couple of days!

Regards,

CD

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
13 years 4 months ago #37969 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Re:Back log in appeals causes judges to refuse appeal
Hi CD,

We had about an inch of snow during the night, but it's been sunny all day, so more or less melted away.

We have a forecast of -5C for tonight, but as the week progresses, the forecast is for around 2C and bright and sunny, but still feeling cold.

Next week the forecast is much the same, but winds are going to be around 20 mph, so the chill factor will make it feel much colder.

I doubt if we'll be venturing far, as cold is a major factor in triggering my asthma.

I see Wagner of X Factor 'fame' <sic> is being investigated by the DWP as he's on IB for a frozen shoulder !!!

Have a great weekend :)

Jim & Pat :kiss:

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Survivor
13 years 4 months ago #37972 by Survivor
The advisers on Rightsnet were talking about being served notices. Would those notices have been from the DWP then? I got the impression from the discussion that they were from the tribunal judge.

More
13 years 4 months ago #37973 by Derek4
After looking at the thread, it's clear that Judges' discussions with ATOS is purely hearsay, but four individual welfare advisers have reported that first-tier tribunal judges are threatening to strike-out an appeal on the 'no prospect of success' rule and directing the appellant to comment.

This is quite worrying if it is true. If an appellant put two descriptors in issue, arguing that he should have scored 12 points; a tribunal judge may have grounds to strike-out the appeal on the basis that if the appellant was awarded both descriptors he still wouldn't satisfy the WCA.

However, a clued-up advisor is not likely to argue that a client should score 12 points, and if an appellant is unrepresented and does not make a case for specific descriptors in an appeal letter, I believe a tribunal would have an obligation to consider all the descriptors. I don't think it would stand up at the Upper Tribunal. Following a hearing, a tribunal's statement of reasons must contain adequate reasons of how they reached their decision from the evidence in front of them. If an appeal is struck-out, I would expect the decision notice to give reasons for the decision on a point of law, such that, no additional evidence would make a difference. This would not be possible for the WCA. They can't simply predict whether the appeal will succeed.

If this is happening, it's probably a desperate attempt to reduce the number of hearings.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.