× Members

IS vs ESA (i) and HB

More
13 years 4 months ago #39023 by nonsmoker2008
IS vs ESA (i) and HB was created by nonsmoker2008
Wonder if someone can help me with a general query regarding IS and HB vs. ESA(i) and HA.

I have been the carer for my HRM and HRC son for the last 10 years. I get IS from DWP and obvs CA too and my HB comes from the council. Now I receive HRM and HRC in my own right it is becoming more difficult for me to be my sons carer and he wants to try independant living anyhoo (he's 24 now).

I guess then when I stop being his carer I have to apply for ESA(i) in my own right, obviously give up CA but what happens about HB?
Looking at various online documents, it seems to me that it comes from the ESA people at DWP now and is based like ESA on certain allowances and premiums rather than the way the council does/did it (market rate and rooms and amount of occupants). Is this correct?

We've been here for ten years with no changes so I'm a little out of touch :blush: :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pete17971
13 years 4 months ago #39025 by pete17971
Replied by pete17971 on topic Re:IS vs ESA (i) and HB
nonsmoker2008 wrote:

Wonder if someone can help me with a general query regarding IS and HB vs. ESA(i) and HA.

I have been the carer for my HRM and HRC son for the last 10 years. I get IS from DWP and obvs CA too and my HB comes from the council. Now I receive HRM and HRC in my own right it is becoming more difficult for me to be my sons carer and he wants to try independant living anyhoo (he's 24 now).

I guess then when I stop being his carer I have to apply for ESA(i) in my own right, obviously give up CA but what happens about HB?
Looking at various online documents, it seems to me that it comes from the ESA people at DWP now and is based like ESA on certain allowances and premiums rather than the way the council does/did it (market rate and rooms and amount of occupants). Is this correct?

We've been here for ten years with no changes so I'm a little out of touch :blush: :(

Hi,

Housing Benefit (or Local Housing Allowance if renting privately) is still the responsibility of local councils not the DWP, albeit what you claim from the DWP can affect your Housing Benefit or Local Housing Allowance.

You are right that it is quite complex and even more so if it is Local Housing Allowance you are claiming. It is rather beyond the remit of the forum as each case is difference depending upon individual circumstances.

Either speak directly with your local council Housing Benefit/LHA team or try the shelter helpline on 0808 800 4444 who should be able to assess what your current entitlement maybe. However as you are probably aware there are some changes in the pipeline particularly with Local Housing Allowance.

Pete

More
13 years 4 months ago #39031 by nonsmoker2008
Replied by nonsmoker2008 on topic Re:IS vs ESA (i) and HB
OK, thanks :)

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.