× Members

Should I apply for higher rate mobility?

More
13 years 2 months ago #42440 by JeanCannon
Should I apply for higher rate mobility? was created by JeanCannon
Hi All
I have had MS for several years and get low rate care and mobility DLA.

The thing is my condition has become worse over the last 6 months and I cannot go out alone and so cannot use public transport eg. buses, and community cars are too expensive so I cannot even get to MS meetings or get out to do other things I would like to do.

A lady from Social Services suggested (while discussing help aids) that I should apply for the higher rate, but I have heard that you can lose what you already get.

Please can you advise

Thanks
Jaycie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #42446 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:Should I apply for higher rate mobility?
Jaycie

We are unable to provide specific personal advice due to the limitations posed by the forums to being aware of all your circumstances.

To qualify for DLA HRC you need to show that you have care requirements both day and night. For MRC you only need to show the requirement is day or night.

By asking for a re-evaluation your whole claim will be looked at and that, on occassion can result in the reduction or loss of existing benefits.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• originaldave
13 years 2 months ago #42447 by originaldave
Replied by originaldave on topic Re:Should I apply for higher rate mobility?
Jaycie wrote:

Hi All
I have had MS for several years and get low rate care and mobility DLA.

The thing is my condition has become worse over the last 6 months and I cannot go out alone and so cannot use public transport eg. buses, and community cars are too expensive so I cannot even get to MS meetings or get out to do other things I would like to do.

A lady from Social Services suggested (while discussing help aids) that I should apply for the higher rate, but I have heard that you can lose what you already get.

Please can you advise

Thanks
Jaycie

you could lose , but that would mean that your not as bad now as you where when you claimed at first... in theory you should keep what you have now and if they think your worse they they might increase it if its bad enough IMO

More
13 years 2 months ago #42448 by JeanCannon
Replied by JeanCannon on topic Re:Should I apply for higher rate mobility?
Hi Thank you for your reply, but I was not asking about the care component.
jaycie

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
13 years 2 months ago #42450 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Re:Should I apply for higher rate mobility?
Hi Jaycie,

You state in your post that you receive DLA LRC & DLA mobility, but you don't say whether the mobility component is for for the higher rate (HRM) or lower rate (LRM).

I am aware of the problems that MS can cause, since I was diagnosed with remitting/relapsing MS in 1986, but now have secondary progressive MS and receive DLA HRM & HRC. I should add that as well as MS, I have severe asthma for which I have home oxygen and also have chronic polyarthritis (arthritis in most of my joints)

As there is no 'typical' case of MS it's impossible to advise on what DLA care and/or mobility components you may be entitled to. Plus, as moderators we cannot give advice on individual claims as is explained in FAQ

You need 'face to face' advice from a qualified benefits adviser, who can look at your current award and advise you whether or not you should ask for your current award to be reviewed ( looked at again).

If your local MS Society doesn't have a Welfare Officer, then try your local CAB, or if they can't help try Community Legal Advice

It is possible that if you ask for your current award to be reviewed, then the DLA Unit can look again at your current award since DLA is a single benefit with a care and mobility component, so you need 'face to face' advice from an adviser with access to your case files who can advise whether or not applying for a review will put your current award at risk.

Hope this helps.

Jim

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
13 years 2 months ago #42451 by JeanCannon
Replied by JeanCannon on topic Re:Should I apply for higher rate mobility?
Hi
Thank you Gordon for your reply. I know it dosn't change anything, but I was asking about mobility not care.

Thanks
Jaycie

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.