× Members

when to apply for pension credit

• cocacola
  • Topic Author
13 years 3 months ago #42962 by cocacola
when to apply for pension credit was created by cocacola
My hubby turned 60 in November 2010, I am only 55 B)
Today we received a letter from Jobcentreplus about our income support.

The letter states that hubby is "approaching the age where you are no longer entitled to Income Support and therefore should apply for Pension Credit etc..."
We currently receive more than the £202 couple rate for pension credit.

We both receive DLA at HRM and MRC.
I believe hubby is not entitled to claim his pension until he reaches 65 which is 2015.
We also have the option to change the IS claim to my name, seeing as I am only 55.

So do we apply for pension credit? Or do we ignore the letter? We did ring JCP and they advised to claim PC :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Survivor
13 years 3 months ago #42963 by Survivor
Replied by Survivor on topic Re: when to apply for pension credit
Unfortunately, pension credit isn't one of the benefits that we advise on here.

When you get IS or PC, there are various premiums you can get which affect the overall amount. I would strongly advise you to see a welfare adviser face-to-face for a better-off calculation.

I would recommend that you don't simply go by what you have been told by the jobcentre on the phone as they may not have all the facts and may not have been able to do a full calculation for you.

• Dippypud
13 years 3 months ago #43031 by Dippypud
Replied by Dippypud on topic Re: when to apply for pension credit
Four years ago my husband turned 60, we received a letter from Income Support saying,you are no longer entitled to IS, you may be entitled to Pension Credit.

So they stopped the IS and said no to the PC, but that was then, you may be luckier, I do hope so.

• cocacola
  • Topic Author
13 years 3 months ago #43036 by cocacola
Replied by cocacola on topic Re:when to apply for pension credit
Thanks for the replies, looks like I will have to make an appointment with Welfare Rights Officer.

• cocacola
  • Topic Author
13 years 2 weeks ago #54348 by cocacola
Replied by cocacola on topic Re:when to apply for pension credit
Just an update, I phoned Welfare Rights office and was advised to claim Pension Credit.
Apparently hubby is entitled to claim PC from May 2011, when he will be 60 yrs and 6 months old.
PC claim has been submitted and awaiting reply.

• Survivor
13 years 2 weeks ago #54368 by Survivor
Replied by Survivor on topic Re:when to apply for pension credit
I'm glad you were able to get advice on this. I hope all goes smoothly with the claim.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.