× Members

Isit possible to re-open a closed case at the CAB?

• Nervy
  • Topic Author
13 years 2 months ago #43235 by Nervy
I got a letter from the CAB

"As we have not heard from you we presume you no longer require our assistance. We will therefore be closing your case. We have retained all documents that you have left with us. These will be kept for seven years and then your file will be destroyed..."
"....We will close your case 14 days from the date of this letter"

Is it possible to re-open a case once it closed?

What does closing a case really mean? That I can't talk to them about the case?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• originaldave
13 years 2 months ago #43239 by originaldave
Nervy wrote:

I got a letter from the CAB

"As we have not heard from you we presume you no longer require our assistance. We will therefore be closing your case. We have retained all documents that you have left with us. These will be kept for seven years and then your file will be destroyed..."
"....We will close your case 14 days from the date of this letter"

Is it possible to re-open a case once it closed?

What does closing a case really mean? That I can't talk to them about the case?

they must have contacted you, you did not answer so they write telling you cased closed and its been filed and no one will take anymore action or follow up if they get replys in from questions they asked on your behalf, as they say they will hold on for 7 years and another letter from you requesting them to carry out more help on your behalf would be looked at.

• Nervy
  • Topic Author
13 years 2 months ago #43328 by Nervy
Dave wrote:

no one will take anymore action or follow up if they get replys in from questions they asked on your behalf,

If the CAB get sent correspondence about me they'll behave as if they never knew me, and do nothing? not contact me?

another letter from you requesting them to carry out more help on your behalf would be looked at.

and that's even if they close the case.

But i suppose it'd be then that i'd find out if they received any correspondence?

More
13 years 2 months ago #43333 by Gordon
Nervy

If you have nominated the CAB as your agent with regard to the DWP, they would be required to contact you if they received any correspondance on your behalf.

Closing your case just means they will not initiate any action on your behalf, you should be able to re-activate it at any time.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Nervy
  • Topic Author
13 years 2 months ago #43436 by Nervy
I'm not sure about any nomination agent thing but you might mean about what they put when sent off the GL24 appeal form.

On my appeal papers there is a photocopy of the GL24 appeal form and it says "Have you arranged for someone to represent you at your appeal?" and its ticked yes with the name of my welfare benefits caseworker at the CAB. I was told that they would have received a copy of the same appeal papers that i got.

• originaldave
13 years 2 months ago #43439 by originaldave
Gordon wrote:

Nervy

If you have nominated the CAB as your agent with regard to the DWP, they would be required to contact you if they received any correspondance on your behalf.

Closing your case just means they will not initiate any action on your behalf, you should be able to re-activate it at any time.

Gordon

What they are required to do and sometimes do are two different things, with the amount of work they have on with all peoples problems housing benefit and debit cut in funding ect ect

I would not bet on them contacting everyone who they get a letter for from the DWP

a closed file is out of site and out of mind IMO I would take steps to make sure I too was told of all new letters from the DWP if the CAB had been working on my behalf

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.