× Members

Home Care & DLA Help??

More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #49706 by jennypenny
Home Care & DLA Help?? was created by jennypenny
Hiya,

Can anyone help me find something that states exactly what DLA is paid for please? I am looking for something 'official' that I can repeat to my local council.

Basically, I currently receive HR care and mobility (have a motability vehicle) and I recieve 12 hours of 'care' from my local council through the direct payments scheme. At my last review, they have decided to increase my constribution by 245% which will take just about all of my 'care' component. My question is: can they take all of my care component when I've been 'declared' as needing help through the day and night and yet they only provide 12 hours assistance? I've applied for a waiver as having to pay this will mean that a/ I can't use the car at all which will make me housebound and b/ I won't be able to heat the house which has a huge impact on my health... They have just come back to me to say that they are refusing the waiver and they made a comment about my car being a 4x4 (It's the only type I can get in/out of as I get stuck with 'normal' height vehicles and it hurts too much - on top of that, I need the boot room for my wheelchair and I live out in the country) and it's running (fuel) costs. I'd listed £40 a week and they think that's excessive but I'm only using it for essential journey's and for me, that's things like going for a pint of milk - it is not a 'style' choice but I feel as if I'm being penalised because of it.

I have two young children to consider too and the stress/worry of this is really taking it's toll.

I would like to try and argue back that they can't use all of my care funds as I have other care issues that they don't cater for (as everyone knows, they only provide the absolute basics) so any help at all would be greatly appreciated. If I end up losing this because I can't afford to pay for it, my kids will be at risk and I want to avoid that at all costs (btw, my 'care' package provides help to prepare a meal for myself but not the kids - how crazy is that? they'll help me have a shower, but not the kids and yet I'm a single parent)

Anyway, any help a anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated here as I don't want to lose my kids,my house or my sanity and that's what it'll come to if I'm forced to pay this...

Many thanks,
Jen

Modedit: Moved to questions forum. Gordon
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by Gordon. Reason: moved

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #49729 by Steve Donnison
Replied by Steve Donnison on topic Re:Home Care & DLA Help??
Hi Jen,

I'm afraid this is an issue relating to local authority charging policies and is outside the scope of this board.

DLA isn't to pay for anything specific, it's simply that you need to show specific levels of need during the day and/or night in order to qualify for an award at a given rate.

Good luck,

Steve

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.