× Members

PCA Letter today saying capable of working

More
13 years 1 month ago #50339 by whitehorse
PCA Letter today saying capable of working was created by whitehorse
Hi I went for a medical on 28th last month and got a letter today saying I was capable of working. I am going to appeal as they sent me back a note of the points I had scored and it's like it's somebody else's. e.g. I told the doctor I had a big problem about answering the phone and he has ticked the box saying I had no problem! I was wondering what to do as I cannot sign on for jobseekers as there is no way I could work. Someone told my husband to get a line from the doctor but I have been claiming for many years and don't know if this would be like making a new claim and if that would change everything. Someone else told my husband to wait until a couple of days after sending appeal form and then claim for income support at appeal rate but will they take the money my husband gets into consideration - he has MS and is on benefits himself with a small pension. Would appreciate any advice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• originaldave
13 years 1 month ago #50340 by originaldave
Replied by originaldave on topic Re:PCA Letter today saying capable of working
whitehorse wrote:

Hi I went for a medical on 28th last month and got a letter today saying I was capable of working. I am going to appeal as they sent me back a note of the points I had scored and it's like it's somebody else's. e.g. I told the doctor I had a big problem about answering the phone and he has ticked the box saying I had no problem! I was wondering what to do as I cannot sign on for jobseekers as there is no way I could work. Someone told my husband to get a line from the doctor but I have been claiming for many years and don't know if this would be like making a new claim and if that would change everything. Someone else told my husband to wait until a couple of days after sending appeal form and then claim for income support at appeal rate but will they take the money my husband gets into consideration - he has MS and is on benefits himself with a small pension. Would appreciate any advice.

one mistake is very common, in fact they often make many mistakes .... what else did they get wrong ? how many points did you score ? before you failed this medical had you been on ESA before ?

More
13 years 1 month ago #50343 by Gordon
whitehorse

You need to get face to face advice from the CAB or Welfare Rights who can look at your situation in detail.

You may be able to claim ESA while you appeal, providing your doctor is prepared to write a fit note, however, I think, and this is why you need face to face advice, that you might only be eligible for Income Related ESA, which is means tested.

You don't say what benefit your husband receives, if it is DLA, then this will not count as income, however, if it is ESA or IB, then I believe it will, also his pension will also be considered.

As a couple you may be eligible for Income Support, but this is also means tested.

As you can see, your situation is complicated, which is why you need to see someone who can look at all the issues.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
13 years 1 month ago #50346 by whitehorse
Replied by whitehorse on topic Re:PCA Letter today saying capable of working
Hi When I filled in my form I reckoned I had many more points than I needed but they only gave me 3. They also said I needed 15 points rather than the ten I believed to be the case. All my problems are with mental health issues not physical.

More
13 years 1 month ago #50347 by whitehorse
Sorry. Yes I've been on benefits for many years.

More
13 years 1 month ago #50348 by whitehorse
Feeling really stupid. What's ESA?

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.