× Members

How smart should you dress for a tribunal hearing?

• jkw10
  • Topic Author
13 years 1 month ago #50365 by jkw10
Hi everyone,

I have my tribunal hearing next week. Since being off sick from work, I've basically lived in pyjamas or jeans!

So I'd like your opinions on exactly how 'smart' I should look for the hearing?

I'm not sure what kind of message it might give if I turn up looking ready for a day in the office - but I don't want to be disrespectful either.

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question but my weight has fluctuated massively since I've been ill and old work clothes simply don't fit anymore. I have one 'pretty' skirt I could wear but it's not exactly a sober work suit.

Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RachelPotter
13 years 1 month ago #50368 by RachelPotter
Hi, it's not a stupid question, I think we all go over every little detail of an appeal before it happens.

Steve's notes on the appeal process mentions what to wear so it's worth taking a look.

I wore what is known fondly of in this house as my 'uniform'....jeans, boots, top and about three cardigans because I get cold.

The judge and Dr wore shirts and ties.

Have a look at the ESA tribunal notes.

Best wishes,
Rachel

More
13 years 1 month ago #50369 by Gordon
jkw

The Tribunal will make assumptions based on the way you are dressed, so the key thing is to be aware of this, and address it during the proceedings.

Smart is better than casual, but if you really can't manage it, comfort is more important.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• jkw10
  • Topic Author
13 years 1 month ago #50540 by jkw10
Thank you Rachel and Gordon.

My health problems don't alter what I can and cannot wear as such but I will say that this is not representative of what I wear daily.

• millymoo
13 years 1 month ago #50585 by millymoo
Hi

When i went to tribunal i had to wear jogging bottoms as i suffer with severe bloating and pain due to Crohn's disease. I also have occasional incontinance as i am unable to access a toilet in time so i need clothing that is comfortable and yet easy to remove quickly. If you have put on your application that you have problems ie with buttons/easy access please ensure you dress appropriately as it will be observed. If you have needed help to dress for that particular appointment please ensure you tell the tribunal, otherwise they will assume you don't have any problems.

Good luck
Mm :) xx

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.