× Members

Tribunal IB - Visit to Solicitors

• COOKY44
  • Topic Author
13 years 1 week ago #51597 by COOKY44
Tribunal IB - Visit to Solicitors was created by COOKY44
Hi
I am taking my friend to a solicitors tomorrow because he qualifies for legal aid. The solicitor is able to write a statement letter for him to take to tribunal. I just need to ask 2 things:
1) What sort of information should be in the statement.
2) Do we have to send a copy of this to the Tribunal Service

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 week ago #51607 by Derek4
Replied by Derek4 on topic Re:Tribunal IB - Visit to Solicitors
Hi Cooky44

1) The information required depend entirely on your friends individual circumstances. Does the solicitor specialize in welfare benefits?

If so he/she should be able to decide what information is needed, but it's important your friend shows the solicitor the full documentation, such as letters from the DWP, medical reports and any letters from his GP.

2) Yes, but I would have expected the solicitor to take care of that. Is the solicitor representing your friend and handling the case, or just writing a letter?

Derek

• COOKY44
  • Topic Author
12 years 9 months ago #60339 by COOKY44
Replied by COOKY44 on topic Re:Tribunal IB - Visit to Solicitors
This has now been going on for 3 months, the doctor at first stated that it was disgusting that my friends IB had been stopped and that she would do all in her power to help, now they want £40 for a letter - My friend is on £39.00 a week to live on and already owes approx £1400.00 - I do not begrudge lending my friend more but this system is totally against the person appealing - my friend does not have enough money to live on let alone paying this - does anyone have any suggestions as to what grounds we could get the letter at a reduced rate, I am expecting the same info off the psycatrist

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
12 years 9 months ago #60342 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Re:Tribunal IB - Visit to Solicitors
Hi,

In addition to what Derek as posted, I would not be inclined to use a solicitor.

From my experience most solicitors although they will accept benefits cases, many of them don't have a clue about benefits.

I'd recommend using Community Legal Services who can put you in touch with an advisor in your area with knowledge and expertise of the benefits system.

Good Luck.

Jim

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
12 years 9 months ago #60351 by Jennifer Gray
Replied by Jennifer Gray on topic Re:Tribunal IB - Visit to Solicitors
Can i just point out the information Jim gave isfor community legal services is for England and Wales so would not apply for either Scotland or Northern Ireland.
Jenny

More
12 years 9 months ago #60387 by Tracy A
Replied by Tracy A on topic Re:Tribunal IB - Visit to Solicitors
We used community legal advice, we found them very helpful and efficent.
The legal advisor left no stone unturned he pulled the ATOS medical report apart it was full of mistakes.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.