× Members

Heart Failure

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #53083 by Peter
Heart Failure was created by Peter
I have been diagnosed with heart failure, i take up to 20 tablets a day I also have arthritis. I am spending most of my time worrying about this new work test. There are days I can walk 50 yards without being breathless but still in pain, some days I spend most of the day on oxygen, but most it's just in the morning. What is worrying me is no mention of the medication that the person is on.It is in the paper all the time about people on benefits we made out to be ripping the system off, I can assure you I would rather work than go through all these sleepless nights.I also have a 31-year-old daughter with a Asperger's syndrome who goes out with two carers twice a week and she's totally confused about all these changes. I would be grateful of any advice or information.

Sincerely

Peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #53092 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:Heart Failure
Peter

We have just published an updated Understanding ESA guide and should be releasing new ESA claim guides this week, so the best thing is for you and your daughter to have a look at these when available.

One point I would make based on your post, the walking test refers to "significant discomfort or exhaustion". There is no clear definition of what discomfort or exhaustion mean, but in the case of the former, it is definitely less than pain.

So if you can walk 50 metres, but are in pain whilst doing so, then you should fail the test, which is good. However, to score the 15 points, you would need to show that you could not propel a wheelchair over the 50 metres either.

Hope this starts to explain it.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.