× Members

Help with DLA from completition please

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #53253 by kanecat
Hi all,

I've received DLA forms to advise them of my change of circumstances, as my medical conditions have worsened. I'm currently getting LRC & LRM.
I've rang both DIAL & Welfare rights for help in completing the forms but neither can come out to see me before the forms are due back in 5 weeks time.
I suffer with anxiety & depression & fibromyalgia. My anxiety problems have got really bad and i have not left the house since November due to agoraphobia. I speak to my GP on the phone and he has made one home visit but i have had to cancel my hospital appointments with the psychiatrist and rhuematologist due to the agoraphobia. The severity of my panic attacks have led to me becoming agoraphobic.
Does anyone have any tips on completing the forms. I have become a member of the site and downloaded lots of info but my concentration is poor and i'm finding it all overwhelming.
Any comments will be much appreciated.
Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #53257 by Jennifer Gray
Replied by Jennifer Gray on topic Re:Help with DLA from completition please
Have you got a friend or family member that could help you with the forms perhaps. Or are you in social housing ie a housing association they often have a welfare worker. Or have you thought about the local cab. These are just some suggestions. Also how about filling in the form 10 or 15 minutes at at time over the period of a day. Hope the is helps.
Jenny

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #53258 by kanecat
Replied by kanecat on topic Re:Help with DLA from completition please
Hi Jenny and thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately my family are not very understanding of my situation. They are of the attitude that i need to pull myself together. I wish they could have a day in my shoes and that might change that opinion! I worked for Barclays Bank for 12 years and lost my job due to my conditions and the amount of time off i was having.
I'll keep plugging away at the form and hope that i manage to it completed before it sends me even madder!!

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #53259 by Jennifer Gray
Replied by Jennifer Gray on topic Re:Help with DLA from completition please
I am sorry not having an understanding family makes it so much tougher for you. Do you have any supportive friends at all. I am thinking of you and hope it goes well.

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #53260 by kanecat
Replied by kanecat on topic Re:Help with DLA from completition please
Thanks for your kind words.

Due to the agoraphobia and social anxiety disorder i have cut most of my friends off. My panic attacks are so severe i have one at the mere thought of someone coming to my home, so this led to me distancing myself from friends and family. I do have a partner that i live with but believe me he wouldn't be much use in helping with the forms!
I think i'll ring the DWP and see if they'll give me an extension on the date the forms have to be back by so it will give me time to have someone from DIAL or welfare rights to help me

More
13 years 2 weeks ago - 13 years 2 weeks ago #53262 by Crazydiamond
Replied by Crazydiamond on topic Re:Help with DLA from completition please
kanecat wrote:

Hi all,

I've received DLA forms to advise them of my change of circumstances, as my medical conditions have worsened. I'm currently getting LRC & LRM.
I've rang both DIAL & Welfare rights for help in completing the forms but neither can come out to see me before the forms are due back in 5 weeks time.
I suffer with anxiety & depression & fibromyalgia. My anxiety problems have got really bad and i have not left the house since November due to agoraphobia. I speak to my GP on the phone and he has made one home visit but i have had to cancel my hospital appointments with the psychiatrist and rhuematologist due to the agoraphobia. The severity of my panic attacks have led to me becoming agoraphobic.
Does anyone have any tips on completing the forms. I have become a member of the site and downloaded lots of info but my concentration is poor and i'm finding it all overwhelming.
Any comments will be much appreciated.
Thank you

Are the forms either a DLA434 or DLA580?

Insofar as the mobility component is concerned from the description of your medical condition, it is unlikely that the lower rate mobility component which has already been awarded would be increased, so if the forms refer to mobility at any point, it would be advisable not to complete this section. The DWP may insist that questions relating to mobility must be completed, but you are under no obligation to accede to this request.

On the question of an increase in the care component, it is recommended that you refer to the guide entitled "Changes Of Circumstances For People Claiming Disability Living Allowance" and also the guide entitled "The Best Possible Disability Living Allowance Claims For Adults On Mental Health Grounds" in the DLA resources area HERE.

Finally, if you receive any award of DLA and ask for a review of the existing award/decision there is always a risk that your award could be reduced or stopped altogether, rather than increased. It is rare for claimant's awards to be reduced or lost in this way, but it does happen. So, if you have an existing award, it is always very valuable to get an opinion from a welfare rights worker if you possibly can.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 13 years 2 weeks ago by Crazydiamond. Reason: Additional info.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.