× Members

fibromyalgia

• penrie
  • Topic Author
12 years 11 months ago #54459 by penrie
fibromyalgia was created by penrie
Hi, does anybody recieve dla for fibromyalgia, i also suffer from anxiety, depression and borderline personality trait, i take venlafaxine 300mg a day, epilim 100mg twice a day and diazepam 2mg 1-3 x 2mg as and when required for panic attacks, all these medications are for my mental health.
My medication for the fibromyalgia is amitriptyline 50mg at night, tramadol 50mg up to 2x50mg up to 4 times a day, paracetamol 500mg x2 up to 4 times a day and a butrans patch 10mg 1 patch for 7 days.
The pain from the fibromyalgia is constant and really distressing, i had a home visit last week from a proff ward from the rheumatology hospital, he is going to try me with a change of medication to gabapentin and sertraline.
I have an appeal for dla in from last may 10 and have been told the hearing will not be until at least nov 11.
I am at present filing a new claim as i am really desperate for the help.
Could anybody please give me any advice i would be really grate full.
Thank you xxxx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bill 1
12 years 11 months ago #54466 by bill 1
Replied by bill 1 on topic Re:fibromyalgia
hi penrie
my wife suffers from severe fibro she gets high rate mobility and middle rate care. this is because she is very unstedy and she falls over without warning. she can not do anything much for herself as her pain is unrelenting, she is on gabapentin,morp patches 100mg every two days, oromorph, ect ect. it was not easy getting her dla but you must never give up.

regards

bill ;)

More
12 years 11 months ago #54467 by Libra45
Replied by Libra45 on topic Re:fibromyalgia
Hi Penrie

I have had Fibromyalgia since 2000, but only diagnosed in Nov '08. I also have Osteoporosis, osteoarthritis and asthma.

I was in a very bad mental state from 2005-07, and since then I have been on Paroxetine.

I do not take anything for my FM as strong painkillers disagree with me!

I have had DLA awards in '03, '05, and '08. I've just had a 'review' even though my award was given to me indefinitely. I had one of 'those' letters which say that 'they have rec'd info which may cast doubt on my continuing eligibility to DLA'.

I haven't been in your position of having to wait for an appeal, and I think having to wait for 18 mths or more is atrocious!

If you are going to complete a new claim, I would try and have some help from CAB or a similar organisation. There are also some good guides on this site which will take you through the form step-by-step. I would make sure that you tell it as it is, do not be afraid or embarrassed to put any of your problems down on paper.

It isn't WHAT you have, it's HOW your illnesses affect your day-to-day living. I had all three of my DLA awards before any diagnosis was made.

Good Luck!

• penrie
  • Topic Author
12 years 11 months ago #54481 by penrie
Replied by penrie on topic Re:fibromyalgia
Thanks Bill, i have had numerous falls and now have to use a stick as i am very unsteady on my feet, could you please let me know if the gabapentin has helped with the pain at all, at night i cannot have the quilt on my feet as the pain is unbearable and am told that the gabepentin will help with this, its nice knowing that there is someone out there that understands, please give gentle hugs to your wife from me x

• penrie
  • Topic Author
12 years 11 months ago #54484 by penrie
Replied by penrie on topic Re:fibromyalgia
Hi, thank you for the reply and info its very kind, i had a welfare rights officer but she has been made redundant due to cutbacks !!!.
I battle every day just to keep going but when i was told that the tribunal date would not be before nov 11 it really swept the rug from under me, it has left me feeling very low and desperate, im hoping with the new claim i will have more success.
Thank you for your time and its nice to know others understand, gentle hugs xx

• bill 1
12 years 11 months ago #54486 by bill 1
Replied by bill 1 on topic Re:fibromyalgia
hi
the gabapentin takes a while to work and you may need to get your dr to review it on a regular basis as in my wifes case the dosage needed to be increased a step at a time. its a good drug as it was developed for nerve pain. do not be afraid to tell them how the fibro affects your life every day,they cant stand in your shoes so make them understand what its like for you.

take care

bill :)

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.