× Members

severe disability premium

More
13 years 6 days ago #55130 by capainFAIRY
Replied by capainFAIRY on topic Re:severe disability premium
thank you I will do that. If and when I find out if the recon on care dla fro mid to high goes through I may be in the same boat again re sev disability prem.
where does it all end. thank you Ben & work, where would we members be without you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 days ago #55212 by capainFAIRY
Replied by capainFAIRY on topic Re:severe disability premium
Please help re same question as yesterday. Gordon kindly quoted the definition/criteria for severe disability premium - "sdp was introduced as a higher & additional premium for people living on their own OR treated as such with high care needs not met by someone receiving carers allowance".
Where did Gordon get this from. I am still being told that I do not qualify as I do not live on my own, I live with my sister.
(Sister full time employment, her prop, I dont pay rent as shes not landlord, I dont qual for HB cos we are sisters. I pay my half of the utilities and pay for food, I have my own bedroom) she has no impact on my means tested benefit IS or my finances and vice versa, and she receives NO benefit in her own right or the carers allowance, because she works 37 hrs per wk. Mid rate care is for my high day care needs - dla.
I have been told that one of the award letters (not qualifying for sp) is the correct decision out of the 2 contradicting letter sent and dated the same day!
what can I do. No welfare ben help avail, CAB wont help do letter. Lost in the wilderness.

• Survivor
13 years 5 days ago #55225 by Survivor
Replied by Survivor on topic Re:severe disability premium
The rules are relatively complex and too long to set out here.

It all hangs on whether your sister is what the DWP calls a non-dependent. A non-dependent is someone who is part of your household but not financially dependent on you (by contrast with, say, your child).

If you want to get your SDP you will need to establish that your sister is not a "non-dependent" but rather that you have separate households, as might two flatmates.

However, I cannot advise further on this due to the complexity of the rules, although maybe one of my colleagues can.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.