× Members

Can you work and claim JSA if refused ESA?

• libbyrose
  • Topic Author
13 years 19 hours ago #55710 by libbyrose
I realise that might sound strange. briefly I was disgnosed with fibromayalgia in March 2010 after being taken very unwell late 2009 following a gradual decline in health for some time. I was signed off by my Gp from December and I tried to return to work in February as I have a job I love and did not want to lose. Since I also have chronic low blood pressure part of my symptoms are that I fall at random and have broken limbs doing so, so I am considered a health and safety risk. Therefore, since I work in a school, I was not allowed back to the work place and had to undertake admin work instead for a few hours a week. I made two attempts to do this and both times collapsed again. I was finally signed off in July and told to 'stay off' until I was stable. I was given contribution based ESA from January this year, and went for my ATos medical on April 1st. I actually fell over whilst at the medical centre, which the examining doctor did not even acknowledge. The exam was not nice at all, and I kept losing concentration owing to fatigue. Despite all this I heard today that I have been given ZERO points and need to appeal. I have to say even the lady from the Job Centre who phoned to tell me was a bit dumbfounded as she realises my history of falls alone gives me limited availability for work. She also said she would not blame me for complaining to Atos about the attitude of the Examiner which was cold to say the least. Now though, I will need to lodge an appea. Meanwhile, my GP has signed me back for eight hours a week to see how I get on with my job. If I'm not able to get ESA, does anyone know if I would be able to apply for JSA given that I only have eight hours availability a week?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kittykit
13 years 17 hours ago #55741 by kittykit
Replied by kittykit on topic Re:Can you work and claim JSA if refused ESA?
I'm sure a friend of mine told me (so not from an official source!) that you can work up to 16 hours per week and still claim JSA, but you'd have to be actively looking for more work on top of that I think. Sorry not really sure but that's what I've heard.

• Survivor
13 years 17 hours ago #55742 by Survivor
Replied by Survivor on topic Re:Can you work and claim JSA if refused ESA?
We don't advise on JSA on here, but here are the government guidelines .

• RachelPotter
13 years 17 hours ago #55743 by RachelPotter

• libbyrose
  • Topic Author
13 years 17 hours ago #55744 by libbyrose
Replied by libbyrose on topic Re:Can you work and claim JSA if refused ESA?
that's helpful thanks for getting back to me.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.