× Members

fao matchmaker

• originaldave
  • Topic Author
12 years 11 months ago #55918 by originaldave
fao matchmaker was created by originaldave
:) found this and much more on RNIB web site i think it might be of interest to you ?

here is a snip

“Better off” considerations
If you are registered blind or receive any rate of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and would be eligible for income-based ESA, you may want to consider claiming income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) instead.

ESA is paid at a higher rate than basic JSA after the 13-week assessment period (see below), but if you are registered blind, or getting DLA, your income-based JSA may include the disability premium, and so be paid at a slightly higher rate than ESA.

Comparison of ESA and JSA
• If you are a single person in the work-related group your ESA would be £91.40 a week in the main phase (after 13 weeks). For a single person, JSA with the disability premium is £93.45 a week from the start of a claim.

• If you are in the work-related group and you have a partner, your income-related ESA would be £128.70 a week after 13 weeks. If you claimed JSA with the disability premium you would receive £142.60 a week from the start of your claim.

• Contribution-based JSA lasts for only 6 months; income-related ESA (and income-based JSA) can last indefinitely.

• If you have a mortgage, JSA only helps with the interest for a maximum period of two years. If you claim ESA there is no time limit on payments of mortgage interest.

• To claim ESA you have to pass the medical tests as described above. If you are placed in the work-related group you will have to attend work focussed interviews and agree an action plan.

• To claim JSA you have to sign on every two weeks and be accepted as “available for and actively seeking employment”. You must draw up a jobseekers’ agreement with a personal adviser at the start of your claim. This lists the type of work you are going to look for, the hours you could do and the actions you will be expected to take to look for work and improve your job prospects. You can restrict your availability for work to what would be reasonable given your disability.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #55937 by woodsie
Replied by woodsie on topic Re: fao matchmaker
Hi!Dave.
Thanks for taking the time to look for info.
My situation is like many who have a working partner .
She earns just over the £102/week threshold for me to recieve any JSA.
If i do qualify for ESA after 12 months when transfered to Income based ESA i will get about £20/week because of the applicable amount for a couple.
In a couple of years when old enough for Pension Credit i wont qualify because she works 24hours +/week.
If i lose DLA from what i have found out all i will get is C/Tax Ben of £95/month and 30% morgtgage Tax Relief of £69/month.
I hate this it isn't as if i'm not trying as the Gov suggests.
In the last 4 years i've studied: Englsh Language,Psychology and completed CLAIT,+ ECDL but whats the point when the only jobs available are for cleaners ,carers or drivers.
There are NO advertied vacancies applicable for visually impaired people within 15 miles of where i live.
I feel as if i have no hope of ever getting out of this situation as no b*gger will give me a chance i am to old. SORRY mods for length got carried away.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.