Login FormClose

Free, fortnightly PIP, ESA and UC Updates

Our fortnightly bulletin, with over 80,000 subscribers, is the UK's leading source of benefits news. Find out what's changing, how it affects you and how to prepare. Our mailing list is securely managed by icontact in the US.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Remember me
Members
  • Page:
  • 1

TOPIC: more surgery or not?

more surgery or not? 7 years 10 months ago #56958

had surgery a few years ago to coil an anuerysm which had burst and left me disabled. i then found out that i would need to have the same surgery again to prevent another haemorrhage,if i decide against this because of the risks invoved in more surgery will this be held against me when i'm due to be re-assesed for the wca?

they also have decided not to give me anymore mri scans and i won't have to visit my consultant anymore unless i want to go ahead with the surgery,i feel like i have been abandoned. can anyone advise on the wca?
many thanks edward.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:more surgery or not? 7 years 10 months ago #56962

Hi Edward,

If there is a risk involved in the surgery then there should be no question of your decision not to have it affecting your benefit.

Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Re:more surgery or not? 7 years 10 months ago #56973

  • originaldave
edward wrote:

had surgery a few years ago to coil an anuerysm which had burst and left me disabled. i then found out that i would need to have the same surgery again to prevent another haemorrhage,if i decide against this because of the risks invoved in more surgery will this be held against me when i'm due to be re-assesed for the wca?

they also have decided not to give me anymore mri scans and i won't have to visit my consultant anymore unless i want to go ahead with the surgery,i feel like i have been abandoned. can anyone advise on the wca?
many thanks edward.



I posted on this subject the other day, more and more people are being signed off by hospital teams they are handing back care to the GP which in some ways what they should do

they will send a last letter to your GP with a summery of your tests and what they should do to re refer you back if you have need to go back to the team.

its best not to have mris after a coil is fitted as can affect it, CT better if needed but there is a risk of getting cancer from ct scans 1 in 12,000

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:more surgery or not? 7 years 10 months ago #57001

This has been raised before and I was once in a similar situation and ironically, in the last week I've been faced with the same problem again. The disability rights handbook agrees with Steve's comments. If there's a risk, then you can decline any surgery without it effecting your claim.

But remember this, ALL surgery carries a risk, so in theory no one should be forced into surgery on the premise that any ESA / DLA claim will fail. Unless there is any act or parliament that says a balanced risk of surgery can be taken into account by a DWP decision maker ?

I have an ESA coming up and I've been offered surgery that could improve my condition by up to 80%, but it carries a risk of causing other negative issues. My consultant has stated such in their letter to my GP.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Page:
  • 1
Moderators: GordonIzzy1010