× Members

IB and Carer's allowance

• Disillusioned22
  • Topic Author
12 years 11 months ago #57402 by Disillusioned22
IB and Carer's allowance was created by Disillusioned22
[Can someone on IB and DLA claim carer's allowance as well to look after someone? Thank you[/i]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pete17971
12 years 11 months ago #57403 by pete17971
Replied by pete17971 on topic Re:IB and Carer's allowance
Disillusioned22 wrote:

[Can someone on IB and DLA claim carer's allowance as well to look after someone? Thank you[/i]

Carers Allowance cannot be paid to someone receiving certain beneifts including for example IB or state Pension.

However if you receive any means tested benefits and are on IB etc and put in a claim for carers allowance, although not paid, you can receive an 'underlying entitlement' which may, depending on your circumstances, have a postive effect on your means tested benefits. This may already be the case depending on your circumstances and level and components of DLA in payment.

As ever with means tested benefits, seek face to face help and advice from a welfare rights agency or CAB who will go through all your paperwork to work out if you will be better off.

Pete

• Disillusioned22
  • Topic Author
12 years 11 months ago #57473 by Disillusioned22
Replied by Disillusioned22 on topic Re:IB and Carer's allowance
Thank you Pete.

I am on IS, DLA, and IB, and a friend of mine who is also on DLA, IS, cannot deal with his paperwork, so he asked me to be his carer. Is it worth claiming carer's allowance, even if I do not receive anything?

• pete17971
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #57481 by pete17971
Replied by pete17971 on topic Re:IB and Carer's allowance
Disillusioned22 wrote:

Thank you Pete.

I am on IS, DLA, and IB, and a friend of mine who is also on DLA, IS, cannot deal with his paperwork, so he asked me to be his carer. Is it worth claiming carer's allowance, even if I do not receive anything?

Hi,

It is difficult to say without knowing the full circumstances (which is why face to face advice is so beneficial when potenially delaing with means tested benefits) as everyones circumstances are different and a blanket 'yes or no' cannot be given. Hence why we cannot answer questions in relation to means tested benefits reliably.

One may be better off, but equally could being able to care for someone be totally at odds with the reason the person is receiving IB or DLA? It could also in some circumstances make the person you are caring for worse off as they may lose certain premiums.

Please seek individual face to face advice from such as a Welfare Rights/CAB where the whole siutation both financially and otherwise can be fully explored before applying.

I would hate to just say 'yes claim it' and cause you and the person being cared for any complications.

Pete
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by pete17971. Reason: add clarity

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.