× Members

Is falling asleep being unconscious ?

More
12 years 10 months ago #57941 by s.jmoore@blueyonder.co.uk
Replied by s.jmoore@blueyonder.co.uk on topic Re:Is falling asleep being unconscious ?
Well you're both sort of right. Even with an external bag you have an outlet called a 'stoma' which is constructed from a piece of your own bowel and acts to conduct the urine into an external bag. Or some people have a very serious operation (lasts about 12 hours) to have an neo bladder constructed out of bowel to hold small amounts of urine, and which needs to be self cathed via a stoma opening every few hours. Both operations can leave you more open to to catching more bladder infections which run a greater risk of reaching the kidneys as there's no bladder left to act as a kind of 'buffer' between the outside world and your body.

Both are quite serious operations which can leave you with even more problems afterwards and so no surgeon would undertake this sort of procedure lightly. I know because I asked my consultant about it years ago and he said he thought I wouldn't be a suitable candidate for it. Quite why I don't know as I got booted out of the door before I could find out.

In my desperation I've also talked to my GP about this and she's not keen on the idea at all either. He attitude is don't undertake something like that until you really have too as you could still be left with phantom pain and all the after effects of the operation.

I haven't seen him for many years now, (as there's nothing they can do) but I think I may go back and see what he has to say for himself these days.
The topic has been locked.
  • Rob Roy
  • Topic Author
12 years 10 months ago #57943 by Rob Roy
Replied by Rob Roy on topic Re:Is falling asleep being unconscious ?
Is it me ? Or have we wondered off topic?

Rob
More
12 years 10 months ago #57946 by s.jmoore@blueyonder.co.uk
Replied by s.jmoore@blueyonder.co.uk on topic Re:Is falling asleep being unconscious ?
Well I was responding to a question as to why some of us can't take meds to fend off falling asleep. :)

Thats the thing you see, illneses have a tendency to be quite complicated on occasion. ;)
  • pete17971
12 years 10 months ago #57953 by pete17971
Replied by pete17971 on topic Re:Is falling asleep being unconscious ?
Rob Roy wrote:

Is it me ? Or have we wondered off topic?

Rob

To be honest, I think this thread has about run it's course benefits wise.

We are after all a benefits forum and not a medical advice forum, so with that in mind, I am locking this thread.

If anyone wishes to raise objection etc, please e-mail Steve.

Regards

Pete
Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.