× Members

DLA -I've done something stupid

• MinxCariad
  • Topic Author
12 years 11 months ago #57494 by MinxCariad
DLA -I've done something stupid was created by MinxCariad
I’ve done something really stupid and couldn’t have done it at a worse time, please advise if you can? I let my claim lapse as I was too ill to sort it out.

I was on DLA high rate care middle rate mobility for a serious mental health issue. My claim ended 6 Feb but I was so unwell beforehand I couldn’t manage my affairs and didn’t open my post telling me it was coming up for renewal, and have been so stressed and ill since I couldn’t do the form, and it’s now May. I've been so stressed about this I've had panic attacks every time I went near the new form and tried to address it. The DWP say my claim is ‘suspended’ which I hope is good and will mean they don’t treat it like a new claim when I get my form in. Is there any supporting evidence I can get to explain why it’s taken so long and get it linked/backdated to 6 Feb? I’m in a complete mess since it was cut off.

I've never heard of anyone else messing up like this but the disability advice place here say they have, and suggested a letter from my GP or CMHT.

Long shot I know, but I would really appreciate any advice. Thankyou.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• originaldave
12 years 11 months ago #57496 by originaldave
Replied by originaldave on topic Re:DLA -I've done something stupid
In some ways when you re do the paperwork its like a new claim.. I think you need to fill the paperwork in ASAP and send it back, there is a good chance if its awarded again there will be a gap in your payments

by the way there is NO middle rate mobility ?

• pete17971
12 years 11 months ago #57501 by pete17971
Replied by pete17971 on topic Re:DLA -I've done something stupid
MinxCariad wrote:

I’ve done something really stupid and couldn’t have done it at a worse time, please advise if you can? I let my claim lapse as I was too ill to sort it out.

I was on DLA high rate care middle rate mobility for a serious mental health issue. My claim ended 6 Feb but I was so unwell beforehand I couldn’t manage my affairs and didn’t open my post telling me it was coming up for renewal, and have been so stressed and ill since I couldn’t do the form, and it’s now May. I've been so stressed about this I've had panic attacks every time I went near the new form and tried to address it. The DWP say my claim is ‘suspended’ which I hope is good and will mean they don’t treat it like a new claim when I get my form in. Is there any supporting evidence I can get to explain why it’s taken so long and get it linked/backdated to 6 Feb? I’m in a complete mess since it was cut off.

I've never heard of anyone else messing up like this but the disability advice place here say they have, and suggested a letter from my GP or CMHT.

Long shot I know, but I would really appreciate any advice. Thankyou.

Hi,

As Dave said above, there will more than likely be a gap without payment in your claim until the DWP receive your claim form. They are not obliged to backdate any payment as it was down to yourself that the form was not returned in time.

In anycase, 'renewal' claims are treated almost the same as brand new claims, apart from being dealt with at Warbreck Blackpool as opposed to regional offices.

Also can you comfirm your rates of DLA, again Dave is correct in respect of the fact there is no middle mobility component (only low and high rates of mobility)?.

If you receive any means tested benefits (such as Income Support, Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit) you should inform the relevant paying offices that your DLA is currently stopped, else an overpayment situation could arise and you would end up having to pay back the overpayment.

Also if it was High Rate Mobility you received and you were awarded a Blue Badge automatically on the strength of the High Rate Mobility, technically it
would become invalid as you should need to be assessed. In practice though Local Authorities should nowadays align the badges expiry date with the DLA end date, so if you have one make sure it hasn't expired!.

If the completing of the form is too daunting for you, try to obtain some face to face advice and help with completing it from such as a local DIAL group, Welfare Rights Agency or CAB etc. They will be able to go through the renewal claim in depth and see if any further supporting evidence should be obtained to send in with the form.

If you have difficulty finding a local adviser try via Community Legal Advice here:

www.legalservices.gov.uk/public/community_legal_advice.asp

and the find an adviser service here:

legaladviserfinder.justice.gov.uk/AdviserSearch.do

Regards

Pete

• Catherine
12 years 11 months ago #57539 by Catherine
Replied by Catherine on topic Re:DLA -I've done something stupid
I would hope a supportive statement from your CMHT would go a long way in resolving the situation with your DLA.

Best wishes

More
12 years 11 months ago #57574 by carruthers
Replied by carruthers on topic Re:DLA -I've done something stupid
If you are finding it just too much to manage you may find that your CPN can put you in touch with someone who can help you.

Many of us here can empathize with not feeling able to open the envelope.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.