× Members

Anxious!

• juliette
  • Topic Author
12 years 10 months ago #57587 by juliette
Anxious! was created by juliette
Hi

I am new to this site and need a little bit of advice. I recieved my straightforward phone call from the DWP and now I have my medical questionaire which has actually been sitting on my table for 3 weeks :S;it has to be sent back by mid July,but all the physical disabilty questions have thrown me off,there only seems to be a few pages for mental disabilty! My mental health nurse helped me a bit,but I just find it hard to explain my condition (it affects me physically as when I had my last 'episode' as I call it,I couldn't go out of the house for 4 weeks,amongst other things..Could I class this as physical? Of course I can pick things up, for example a phone,but when I am very anxious and my depression is at it's darkest,I don't want to pick up the phone!! Are the questions in the form,to make you slip up?? :silly:

I was diagnosed with having clinical depression back in 1997 and spent 6months in hospital. I was getting both middle care and mobilty until 2006 where it was lowered to both low care and mobilty. I am currently recieving incapacity benefit. I have been on medication for all of this time,which has been changed twice. Do I need to go to my doctor and get evidence for when I go to see ATOS?..Does everyone have to go? I keep looking at this form and at my wits end on what to write!! Please could someone make things clearer?
Thankyou

Juliette

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #57594 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:Anxious!
Juliette

I'm sorry but it's not clear from your post whether this form relates to your DLA claim or whether you are being transferred from IB to ESA?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• juliette
  • Topic Author
12 years 10 months ago #57597 by juliette
Replied by juliette on topic Re:Anxious!
Hi

I am on incapacity benefit at the moment,but am yet to have the ATOS medical,so it's early stages. My post relates to IB. I was awarded DLA intil 2014,last year,which has been ongoing. I guess I am in the same boat as most people on here,but need a bit of advise on how to fill the form in.I am a little confused with all the physical health problem questions-there only seems to be a few pages for mental health :unsure:
My nurse has put her name and the adress of the mental health team on the form,but would I need to get something off my doctor? It's all come to quick for me and I am just confused. Thanks

Juliette

More
12 years 10 months ago #57599 by DRAGON2009
Replied by DRAGON2009 on topic Re:Anxious!
best thing is to read the guides on this site, for members and follow the guidance

More
12 years 10 months ago #57601 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:Anxious!
Juliette

From your post it sounds like this is ESA50 form that you are being asked to fill in as part of the process of you being transferred to ESA from IB.

The first thing to query is the return date, you normally have six weeks to do so, if you have had it for three weeks already, this would suggest a return date of early June, not July as you posted.

The Mental Health questions are 11-17 on the form, whilst you can complete the Physical questions (1-10), there has to underlying physical problem which prevents you completing the task, so the example you use, would not score points.

Have a look at our ESA Guides, we have one that specifically deals with ESA and Mental Health, this will also explain what evidence you should try and collect to help your claim.

If you have more questions please come back to the forum.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Aslan
12 years 10 months ago #57633 by Aslan
Replied by Aslan on topic Re:Anxious!
Hi Juliette,

One of the problems with the current ESA50 form is its inability to allow people with mental health issues to fully and accurately convey their condition.

It is a FACT that your mental condition relates directly to what you can physically do (ask any sports trainer!).

For example, if you can't perform certain tasks in front of other people in the workplace because of a mental health condition, then you sure can't physically do them! And yet you are not awarded points for manual dexterity if there is no underlying physical illness.

I have repeatedly made this point on my ESA50 forms - can I suggest you do the same? It seems ridiculous to me that the form separates physical and mental health. And the reverse is also true - that physical illness can have mental health consequences. Darn it, this ain't rocket science, they need to devise a better form!

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.