× Members

Income support rates confusion/ underhand tactic ?

More
12 years 11 months ago #57612 by Mr Pedantic
Hello all

Got a letter april 2011 saying that my recent change in circumstances does not affect my claim ( What change in circumstances ? I haven't contacted them about anything)
and that I'll cotinue to get my IS of 150 approx a week but fom september I'll only get 96 a week.
Confused to say the least because I thought that the 150 I'm getting now was protected so I wouldn't loose out on benefits in the transference to esa. What's going on and am I being taken for a ride? I've been on dla and IS for eight possibly more years so don't understand what's going on here.
Sorry if this seems confusing or similar has been posted
before.
Lest we forget we are in receipt of the esa form due before very soon and also the dla due in the fall or thereabouts of the year so all my nightmares shalt manifest, my unhinged reality torn asunder. Crikey.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #57613 by Derek4
Hi Mr Pedantic

Welcome to the forum. Please only submit a post once. As each post has to be moderated there is a time delay before it will be published.

Regards

Derek

• pete17971
12 years 11 months ago #57615 by pete17971
There could be many reasons as to why ones income related benefits such as Income Support (IS) may change. If, when and why depends on your own individual circumstances. Thus you really need to contact the Office which deals with your Income Support to find out the reason for the change.

Without knowing your full circumstances it is not possible to say whether you are 'being taken for a ride'. Hence if you are not satisifed with the explaination given as to why your Income Support is being decreased, you really need to get some face to face advice from such as a Welfare Rights Department of a local authorityCitizens Advice Bureau/ Local Law Centre or Community Legal Advice (see legaladviserfinder.justice.gov.uk/AdviserSearch.do ).

An Welfare Rights Advisor can then go through your claim and circumstances in detail to see why yourr IS is changing.

Due to needing the full details of your own circumstances, it is not possible on an open forum such as this to offer accurate advice, hence the need to see an advisor face to face to go through your claim/circumstances in depth.

Pete

More
12 years 10 months ago #57906 by Mr Pedantic
Thank you for your reply. What I meant was that I thought whatever amount I was receiving now would be frozen so I would get a supplement to esa so I get the same amount and don't lose out. Obviously it will all depend on what happens with my renewal from incapacity,income support and another one I can't remember at the moment(not dla) to esa.

More
12 years 10 months ago #57909 by Gordon
Mr Pedantic wrote:

Thank you for your reply. What I meant was that I thought whatever amount I was receiving now would be frozen so I would get a supplement to esa so I get the same amount and don't lose out. Obviously it will all depend on what happens with my renewal from incapacity,income support and another one I can't remember at the moment(not dla) to esa.

The ESA Transitional protection will ensure that you do not lose out as a result of moving from IS to ESA, however, this does not mean, that a change of circumstances, now, cannot affect your IS now and therefore what your ESA payements will be.

As suggested, you need to contact the DWP to understand, what this change of circumstance is and why it will affect your payments.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• originaldave
12 years 10 months ago #57912 by originaldave
Mr Pedantic wrote:

Hello all

Got a letter april 2011 saying that my recent change in circumstances does not affect my claim ( What change in circumstances ? I haven't contacted them about anything)
and that I'll cotinue to get my IS of 150 approx a week but fom september I'll only get 96 a week.
Confused to say the least because I thought that the 150 I'm getting now was protected so I wouldn't loose out on benefits in the transference to esa. What's going on and am I being taken for a ride? I've been on dla and IS for eight possibly more years so don't understand what's going on here.
Sorry if this seems confusing or similar has been posted
before.
Lest we forget we are in receipt of the esa form due before very soon and also the dla due in the fall or thereabouts of the year so all my nightmares shalt manifest, my unhinged reality torn asunder. Crikey.

as said without much info a forum is no place to answer this question, but as you say

"I haven't contacted them about anything"

But you dont need to contact them.... information on computer now can trigger a change in payment for example a child becoming 16 a dla claim coming to an end .. or a child over 16 leaving full time education

the list is endless, but have a think you might have the answer yourself :)

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.