× Members

ESA and Further Education

• Ranald
  • Topic Author
12 years 10 months ago #57810 by Ranald
ESA and Further Education was created by Ranald
I notice a question on Permitted Work whilst claiming ESA.

I intend to start a full-time college course on Social Science in September, the classroom time is fifteen hours. Do i need to declare this to the DWP?

Will this college course have an impact on any further WCA? I was given two years plus on my first and only WCA.

Many thanks
Ranald

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #57817 by Derek4
Replied by Derek4 on topic Re:ESA and Further Education
Hi Ranald

I think starting full-time studying would be a change in circumstances that you would need to inform the DWP about if you are claiming ESA, even if the classroom time is 15 hours.

For claimants who have physical disabilities full-time college may or may not impact on their WCA depending on their disability and how it conflicts, or is perceived to conflict with attending and carrying out the course.

For mental health problems, and speaking from personal experience, in the past studying at home on my computer was a death sentence to my IB claim. With the much harsher WCA assessment it's hard to see how studying could not be used against a claimant under assessment.

Unless a course in Social Science doesn't require carrying out two sequential actions, learning simple tasks, coping with social situations, etc.

I don't know if the DWP would actually bring forward a review date based on a change in circumstances. I certainly hope they wouldn't. But you need to be aware that if you are reassessed while studying at college the evidence that the HCP would consider would be very different to the evidence considered when you passed the WCA.

Good luck

Derek

• Ranald
  • Topic Author
12 years 10 months ago #58644 by Ranald
Replied by Ranald on topic Re:ESA and Further Education
I am very glad that i checked up after your advice Derek. The DWP have told me that any full-time course would mean i was well enough too work, regardless of the fact i would only do 15 hours in a classroom per week.

I tried to ask questions today when i saw a member of staff in my local JSP but he kept talking over me. In the end i raised my voice and the guy over-reacted and got the security guards over.

There has never been any question of my being unable to work, it was my understanding that i was on ESA because i had a limited capacity to work. It is not possible for me to work in a shop or clean windows etc but i could, if given the chance and some training, sit at a desk somewhere.

The JSP staff were very rude and couldn't make eye contact, i was given no chance to explain my position. It seems it is preferable if i sit and home and rot. I wasn't depressed, and i didn't have a drink problem 2 years ago when i was dismissed from my job but i am half way there thanks to all this inactivity.

More
12 years 10 months ago #58670 by Derek4
Replied by Derek4 on topic Re:ESA and Further Education
Thanks for the update Ranald.

So much for encouraging claimants to update their skills and enhance their employment prospects!

More
12 years 10 months ago #58678 by Doris
Replied by Doris on topic Re:ESA and Further Education
You do have the option of study with the Open University.

But you have to be aware that you can't do anything that would conflict with the answers in you PCA.

• Ranald
  • Topic Author
12 years 10 months ago #58679 by Ranald
Replied by Ranald on topic Re:ESA and Further Education
The job centre guy said i should sign off ESA and try an claim a college grant.

There is no way i am going to risk losing my ESA and HB and CTB, all for the "possibility" od obtaining a pitiful college grant!

The problem was the wording, "full-time", regardless of how many hours the course contained, it is a disincentive as far as i am concerned.

There seems to be some confusion as to what claiming ESA means. I have "limited capability to work" but they are judging i should be totally incapacitated and do nothing, or be on JSA or in work?

There is absolutely no chance i will be employed as things stand but they are discouraging me from re-training!

In September i will be 2 years unemployed and statistically unlikely to work again thereafter. It is a madness.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.