× Members

help

• Lizzy
  • Topic Author
12 years 10 months ago #57991 by Lizzy
help was created by Lizzy
Is incontinence consired to be a disibility, self catherterization. just wondering?I'm reading alot of conflicting things. My wife applied for incapacity and was awarded it but because she hasn't paid enough N.I she wasn't allowed payment. Incontinence and loss of bladder function is jut one of the problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #57995 by Steve Donnison
Replied by Steve Donnison on topic Re:help
Hi,

It sounds like there are several different issues here.

Incontinence and problems with stoma devices were relevant to an award of incapacity benefit in the past and are relevant to an award of ESA now.

But the issue of whether a claimant has paid enough NI contributions is entirely separate. No amount of medical issues will make any difference if there are not enough NI contributions for contribution based benefits.

If your wife needs help with managing her incontinence then she may be eligible for disability living allowance.

It sounds like it would be a good idea for your wife to get specific advice from an advice agency about her contribution record, whether she might qualify for any means-tested benefits and about DLA.

Good luck,

Steve

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.