× Members

ESA/ATOS Medical Assessment

More
12 years 10 months ago #58300 by Bogof
ESA/ATOS Medical Assessment was created by Bogof
I have had a request to attend an ATOS Medical Assessment on June 16th. However, ATOS have not requested ANY further medical evidence from my GP, Psychiatrist, Psychotherapist or Mental Health Social Worker. The same shambles happened last year....ATOS & DWP 'lost' supporting evidence and I was forced to appeal their decision saying I was fit to work and attend an extremely stressful Tribunal at Warrington Crown Court. Fortunately, common sense prevailed an I was placed in the support group category. So WHY do they continue to waste money and resources on chasing genuine claimants, insisting on going through the same lengthy procedures? This blinkered, heavy handed approach often contributes to mental health of those with psychiatric disorders to deteriorate even further! It's scandalous that they don't get vital medical reports prior to insisting on a farcical medical by even more farcical 'health care professionals' (a complete contradiction in terms!) who invariably have had just a few hours training before making negligent and ill-informed judgements on very complex physical, mental and emotional medical conditions. IS THIS LEGAL? IS THIS ALL WE ARE WORTH IN THE EYES OF THE GOVERNMENT AND 'CARING PROFESSIONS'??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Survivor
12 years 10 months ago #58308 by Survivor
Replied by Survivor on topic Re: ESA/ATOS Medical Assessment
I think the theory is that as they're just testing whether you meet a limited number of simple criteria, they don't need to know much about mental illness at all.

Have you got any evidence you can send them, such as copies of letters from your psychiatrist to your GP, or would either your psychiatrist or your GP do a letter for you?

More
12 years 10 months ago #58324 by billkruse
Replied by billkruse on topic Re: ESA/ATOS Medical Assessment
"So WHY do they continue to waste money and resources on chasing genuine claimants, insisting on going through the same lengthy procedures?"
I agree it has no practical application and medically it's complete nonsense but financially it's a wonderful way of prying money from the public purse. In my view, that's always been the real point of all this, plundering the public purse and making it socially acceptable by calling it welfare reform. Look at it in that light and it makes sense.

BB

• peterjclive
12 years 10 months ago #58329 by peterjclive
Replied by peterjclive on topic Re:ESA/ATOS Medical Assessment
i emailed dwp and told them that the atos medical was not fit for purpose because of the amount of people winning there appeals at tribunal this is part of there reply word for word on 25may 2011 improving the medical assessment coducted by contractors Atos by putting in place CHAMPIONS/ with expertise in mental cognitive and intellectual conditions you may also like to remind atos that to comply with the malcom harrington report they must use information from your GP and any consultants who treat your condition if they refuse tell them you have a direct contact to Chris grayling via DWP caxton house london if you require any more help please ask peter

More
12 years 10 months ago #58333 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:ESA/ATOS Medical Assessment
peterjclive wrote:

i emailed dwp and told them that the atos medical was not fit for purpose because of the amount of people winning there appeals at tribunal this is part of there reply word for word on 25may 2011 improving the medical assessment coducted by contractors Atos by putting in place CHAMPIONS/ with expertise in mental cognitive and intellectual conditions you may also like to remind atos that to comply with the malcom harrington report they must use information from your GP and any consultants who treat your condition if they refuse tell them you have a direct contact to Chris grayling via DWP caxton house london if you require any more help please ask peter

I am clearly becoming jaded in my old age :)

So ATOS must use evidence from your GP, does it say that they have to request it in the first place, or is that still don to the claimant?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• peterjclive
12 years 10 months ago #58340 by peterjclive
Replied by peterjclive on topic Re:ESA/ATOS Medical Assessment
hi gordon the impression I got from there reply and from reading the harrington report is that atos should obtain all relevant information relating to the claiment before carrying out the medical

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.