× Members

ESA migration

More
12 years 10 months ago #58477 by Liz Howie
ESA migration was created by Liz Howie
Hi can anyone tell me if esa works the same a incapacity benifit in that after being in receipt of it will NI credits then allow you to recieve esa indefenately for as long as you satisfy the criterier?

Liz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #58478 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:ESA migration
Liz Howie wrote:

Hi can anyone tell me if esa works the same a incapacity benifit in that after being in receipt of it will NI credits then allow you to recieve esa indefenately for as long as you satisfy the criterier?

Liz

Yes you would continue to receive ESA until (1) you declare yourself fit for work, or (2) you are found fit for work as the result of an ESA medical.

Hope this explains it.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
12 years 10 months ago #58480 by Liz Howie
Replied by Liz Howie on topic Re:ESA migration
Thanks that's a weight off my mind because a disibility adviser told me that once i migrait from sda to esa , esa is only payable for a year and because my husband works i then will get no bebefit. I didn't think that sounded right.

Liz

More
12 years 10 months ago #58482 by Gordon
Liz Howie wrote:

Thanks that's a weight off my mind because a disibility adviser told me that once i migrait from sda to esa , esa is only payable for a year and because my husband works i then will get no bebefit. I didn't think that sounded right.

Liz

I'm sorry, I'm clearly suffering from brain fog today.

The Government has put forward plans to limit Contribution Based ESA to one year for members of the WRAG, but not the Support Group.

After the year, which would start from the effective date of transfer, a claimant would be eligible to receive Income Related ESA, subject to their meeting the means test.

The legislation that would bring this into force, has not yet been passed, but is likely to without amendment.

My apologies for misleading you in my previous answer.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Liz Howie

More
12 years 10 months ago #58483 by Liz Howie
Replied by Liz Howie on topic Re:ESA migration
so how do you get put into the support group rather than the wrag?
And also thatmeans that half the households with a working partner will be put under a lot of finacial strain surely?

Liz

More
12 years 10 months ago #58485 by Gordon
Liz Howie wrote:

so how do you get put into the support group rather than the wrag?
And also thatmeans that half the households with a working partner will be put under a lot of finacial strain surely?

Liz

Entry to the Support Group is based on a claimant meeting one or more of the associated criteria, these are listed in the Understanding ESA guide in the Members area.

Undoubtedly 10,000s, if not 100.000s of ESA and IB claimants will be affected by this new legislation.

It seems unlikely that the relevant clause in the Welfare Reform bill can be amended in the House of Commons, but there is still a chance the Lords may be able to block it.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.