× Members

DLA award

More
12 years 10 months ago #59348 by soozie
DLA award was created by soozie
My brown envelope finally came on Friday, I have been awarded HRM for 12 months, backdated from February.

I suffer with severe CFS and managed to do the form alone using the benefits and work guides and information. I also sent in 34A4 pages of additional information which included: old hospital guides (dietary, sleeping and pacing), ME/CFS functional ability scale a to demonstrate how I grade myself, diaries showing my (lack of) activities and fluctuations, photographs to back up my diaries I.e. How close the car is to the door. Photocopies of blue badge and bus pass. So as much as possible to really illustrate my life. The diaries were really hard, it takes alot of energy, so I did them as much as possible for a month before getting the forms and then took out the most 'representative' two weeks to submit.

My gp was contacted and then I had a home medical, which thanks to this site I felt totally prepared for until I discovered it was being done by a former GP of mine - one who very seriously misdiagnosed me about eight years ago. But we took it as a positive, as previous claims were rejected really quickly without them seeking any additional info. I got a report before my decision came. The GP got my medication wrong, said I had very low mood and moderate depression and asked lots of questions and cut me off frequently.

It took about three months in all to get through the forms and additional info. I got referred to community rehab who sent a physio and OT out. Fortunately my notes were available for the medical.

It took the DWP ten weeks to make a decision.
Sadly the day after my award came the letter that it's going to be my turn to start the transition to ESA, by the time that's finished no doubt It'll be DLA renewal!!

However ridiculous and unfair this system seems to be, I'm relived to have got here, these guides haves proved invaluable. Previously we have just got by rather than have the negative and intrusive DLA procedure. But due ti rising living costs and fuel, I've had to. And each time I see David Cameron on TV I am truly motivated to claim what I am entitled to. It's my way of saying f you. I hope others find the strength to persevere with this 'lottery' benefit.

Thank you x

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lily321
12 years 10 months ago #59353 by lily321
Replied by lily321 on topic Re: DLA award
well done you, it's very difficult filling out all those forms, I have has cfs for 21 years, now lots of other problems with health but try to keep fighting, wishing you well x

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.