× Members

My ESA appeal

More
12 years 9 months ago #60807 by allycatraz
My ESA appeal was created by allycatraz
Hi there,

My name is Ally and I am new to this site. I have been having problems with ESA, as I attended a Medical in Jan for a work capability assessment, and was put in the work-related activity group with consideration of going back to work within 6 months. At this time when I had the medical, I felt alot better and I was happy with being in this group as I thought I would be able to go back to work within 6 months. I decided recently that I want to go back into the Support group as I am really not coping with my mental health issues. I went to Citizens advice, who didnt really help me atall! I wrote in at the end of May requesting to be put back into the Support group along with a 3 month sick note, and 2 letters confirming that I have taken on therapy and seeing a psychiatrist. They wrote back in June declining my request with the option to appeal. I sent this appeal form on recorded delivery, in with a letter from my GP saying that I cannot work, a letter I wrote that is 4 A4 pages long describing my symptoms, the impact they have on my life, and contact details of my psychiatrist and GP. I am now awaiting a response on this. I called today and they say they havent recieved my appeal, but I am going to try calling again on Monday. I am hoping that I have put enough evidence in for them to consider putting me back in the Support group.

What do people think? Have I done the right thing? I am really anxious and worried about all this!

Ally

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #60815 by Derek4
Replied by Derek4 on topic Re:My ESA appeal
Hi allycatraz

Although there is a risk when asking for a supersession that your award can be reduced, it may be a minimal one if you have substantial evidence to meet the requirements of the WRAG.

If they do consider placing you in the support group you may be asked to attend a medical assessment.

Good luck

Derek

More
12 years 9 months ago #60820 by allycatraz
Replied by allycatraz on topic Re:My ESA appeal
Well they have a 3 month sick note, a letter from my GP saying that I am not well enough to work, and letters saying that I have attended therapy. You think thats not enough?

This is worrying me and making me feel tonnes worse :(

More
12 years 9 months ago #60822 by Derek4
Hi allycatraz

Could I advise you to look at the ESA guides over the weekend. You will find them here .

Having a 3 month sick note is not relevant to the support group as you need to provide sick notes for 3 months simply to make a claim for ESA. A letter from your GP saying that you are not well enough to work will not necessarily get you into the support group as the work-related activity group that you are in at the moment is for people who are not fit for work, although the contents of the letter may be important. And again, attending therapy isn't sufficient to get into the support group.

However from your post I gather that you were in the support group before, so there will be a least one descriptor in the limited capacity for work-related activities assessment that you satisfied before, so there's no reason to think that you will not satisfy it now, as you condition has deteriorated.

But it is important to know which descriptor(s) you were awarded when you were last in the support group so you can focus on these on appeal.

The forums will open again on Monday.

Regards

Derek

More
12 years 9 months ago #60842 by allycatraz
Replied by allycatraz on topic Re:My ESA appeal
I have had a look at the guides but they dont really help with this particular query. I am pretty confident that the amazing letter from my doctor and from me will give me a positive decision.

More
12 years 9 months ago #60846 by Derek4
Hi allycatraz

That's not really a query; you've given an opinion.

All I can say is don't leave anything to chance. Make sure you know what descriptors you satisfy to get into the support group and seek advise if necessary.

Good luck

Derek

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.