× Members

support letters

More
12 years 9 months ago #61880 by Derek4
Replied by Derek4 on topic Re:support letters
Hi Bros58

I can't tell you what the DWP would or wouldn't accept. It's preferable to get an up-to-date letter or an update as you suggested, but if you see your consultant once every 6-12 months and can't get any updated evidence, and I'm aware from these forums how difficult it can be, I would just send the latest supporting letters.

I've fortunately never needed a consultant, but are letters from a consultant so lengthy that they would write a brief update standing by their previous comments but not have the time to write a new letter?

Derek

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
12 years 9 months ago #61884 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Re:support letters
Derek4 wrote:

Hi Bros58

I can't tell you what the DWP would or wouldn't accept. It's preferable to get an up-to-date letter or an update as you suggested, but if you see your consultant once every 6-12 months and can't get any updated evidence, and I'm aware from these forums how difficult it can be, I would just send the latest supporting letters.

I've fortunately never needed a consultant, but are letters from a consultant so lengthy that they would write a brief update standing by their previous comments but not have the time to write a new letter?

Derek

Thanks Derek,

My comment as to a short update, rather than trying to get an in depth statement, as the one I mentioned (31/03/11), is for obvious reasons, ie the consultant is more likely to provide the update, rather than the in depth statement within any time constraints.

Then of course any letter provided through your NHS clinic has to be typed up and go through the beaurocratic treadmill.

The consultant I mention has treated me for 13 years, and was good enough to actually type the letter up on a typewriter himself, on his private practice headed paper, even though I see him on the NHS, therefore I would not want to have to pester him every 6 months for more or less the same thing. I received it within a week of my request.

On the other hand another of my consultants who is also very good, dictated the support letter that I requested at clinic straight into his dictaphone there and then.

That was 3 weeks ago, rang his NHS secretary today, and she said I would receive it in around a fortnight.

So all good intent from my consultant, and much appreciated by me, but the red tape kicks in, which you cannot avoid.

I am really grateful to both of them as neither charged me.

As an add on, both consultants told me that in principle they agreed with reviewing the long term sick, however they also said that they did not agree with the way it was being done, and was a total waste of money putting people such as me through the ordeal(long term irreversible conditions).

• bro58
12 years 9 months ago #61886 by bro58
bro58 wrote:

Derek4 wrote:

Hi Bros58

Derek

Thanks Derek,

My comment as to a short update, rather than trying to get an in depth statement, as the one I mentioned (31/03/11), is for obvious reasons, ie the consultant is more likely to provide the update, rather than the in depth statement within any time constraints.

Then of course any letter provided through your NHS clinic has to be typed up and go through the beaurocratic treadmill.

The consultant I mention has treated me for 13 years, and was good enough to actually type the letter up on a typewriter himself, on his private practice headed paper, even though I see him on the NHS, therefore I would not want to have to pester him every 6 months for more or less the same thing. I received it within a week of my request.

On the other hand another of my consultants who is also very good, dictated the support letter that I requested at clinic straight into his dictaphone there and then.

That was 3 weeks ago, rang his NHS secretary today, and she said I would receive it in around a fortnight.

So all good intent from my consultant, and much appreciated by me, but the red tape kicks in, which you cannot avoid.

I am really grateful to both of them as neither charged me.

As an add on, both consultants told me that in principle they agreed with reviewing the long term sick, however they also said that they did not agree with the way it was being done, and was a total waste of money putting people such as me through the ordeal(long term irreversible conditions).

As a PS to members who may not be aware, at the consultant's clinics, you can request that any letters sent to your G.P. post clinic are also copied in to yourself, I have been receiving copy for some years. I see 3 different consultants, at 3 different Hospital Trusts, no problems with any of them. If anyone does encounter problems with such a request, contact PALS at the hospital they will sort it for you.

It saves you pestering your G.P. for them, and may be useful to use as evidence for your claim.

Free of charge as well.

More
12 years 9 months ago #61897 by mumsgirl
Replied by mumsgirl on topic Re:support letters
bro58 does it cost to get these psot clinic letters? who do you ask, the GP or the clinic? thanks

More
12 years 9 months ago #61906 by Towser
Replied by Towser on topic Re:support letters
Recent letters of support will carry weight but I also feel that medication and treatment you are receiving can add to the fact that your condition has not changed.

• bro58
12 years 9 months ago #61908 by bro58
mumsgirl wrote:

bro58 does it cost to get these psot clinic letters? who do you ask, the GP or the clinic? thanks

MG,

You have obviously missed the final line of my post, never mind, yes it is a free service, no charge.

Ask at the reception desk where you check in, some hospitals have signs up advising of this service.

The reception may inform you to contact the consultant's secretary, the consultant may actually be based at another hospital, get contact details if this is the case.

If anyone tries to fob you off by telling you that you have to make a data protection request, this is not the case, or you have any other problems, contact PALS who are based in the hospital.

PALS, have varying opening times, so again get the information from reception, or the General Office.

PALS deal with many in and out patient problems, are very helpful and will sort out your request for you.

hope this helps

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.