× Members

Tribunal date set - now what

• COOKY44
  • Topic Author
12 years 8 months ago #62295 by COOKY44
Tribunal date set - now what was created by COOKY44
We now have a tribunal date set for the 8.8.2011 – only 10 months of waiting and living on some £38.00 a week for my friend.
I have a solicitor that was recommended by the community legal services writing a statement, have 2 letters outlining my friends condition by his doctor and psychiatrist. A copy of his medication that has been increased significantly since his medical. I wonder if anyone can tell me:
1)Should I forward this information to the Tribunal in advance of the hearing
2)I read that the Tribunal will ask my friend questions at the hearing – I am going as his representative with him to read the prepared statement, he has mental illness and does not interact well with new situations/people, will he need to speak or answer questions as I feel that this will cause him a lot of anxiety

Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #62305 by Derek4
Replied by Derek4 on topic Re:Tribunal date set - now what
Hi Cooky44

1) Yes, you need to send it at least two weeks before the hearing so that the tribunal have time to read it in advance of the hearing.

2) It won't be necessary to read out a prepared statement at the hearing if it has been forwarded to the tribunal, as they will have already read it. I'm afraid your friend will be asked questions as the tribunal will want to hear evidence directly from him. You can if you wish explain to the Clerk to the tribunal who will speak to you before the hearing that your friend is particularly anxious; the tribunal should do their best to put him at ease and he is entitled to ask for a break during the hearing if he is finding it too stressful.

The order of the hearing and who speaks when is entirely at the judge's discretion, but you will not be allowed to answer questions that are directed to your friend. You can speak as a witness and are usually asked at the end of the hearing if there is anything you would like to add. You can find more information about the hearing in the ESA appeal guide.

Good luck

Derek

• COOKY44
  • Topic Author
12 years 8 months ago #62306 by COOKY44
Replied by COOKY44 on topic Re:Tribunal date set - now what
So would would you send the prepared statement in before the appeal is heard - we were told that I would have to read it as his representative

Thanks

More
12 years 8 months ago #62318 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:Tribunal date set - now what
COOKY44 wrote:

So would would you send the prepared statement in before the appeal is heard - we were told that I would have to read it as his representative

Thanks

Please see Derek's answer in the post before yours.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
12 years 8 months ago #62320 by Derek4
Replied by Derek4 on topic Re:Tribunal date set - now what
Hi Cooky44

I don't really see the point in reading out a statement to the tribunal when it can be included in the appeal bundle and read in advance. All tribunal members are duty-bound to read any relevant evidence that you submit but you would have to ask the judge's permission to read out a statement at the hearing.

Unlike criminal courts there is no set procedure that gets followed at tribunal hearings.

Regards

Derek

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.