× Members

TWO QUESTIONS ABOUT Getting about/Going out

• Agatha
  • Topic Author
12 years 8 months ago #63154 by Agatha
TWO QUESTIONS ABOUT Getting about/Going out

According to the Work Capability Assessment score sheet I have downloaded DESCRIPTOR 18 (Getting about) only considers places the claimant is FAMILIAR with:

18. Getting about.
(a) Cannot get to any specified place with which the claimant is, or would be, familiar. 15 points
(b) Is unable to get to a specified place with which the claimant is familiar, without being accompanied by another person on each occasion. 15 points
(c) For the majority of the time is unable to get to a specified place with which the claimant is familiar without being accompanied by another person. 9 points
(d) Is frequently unable to get to a specified place with which the claimant is familiar
without being accompanied by another person. 6 points
(e) None of the above apply. 0 points

And yet, on page 48 of your guide The Best Possible ESA Claims for Mental Health & Learning difficulties (31 March 2011) the descriptor 15(c) says I will score points if I am unable to get to places I am UNFAMILIAR without being accompanied by another person:

15. Going out
The descriptors: what the law says you score points for
15. Getting about
15 (a) Cannot get to any specified place with which the claimant is familiar. 15 points
15 (b) Is unable to get to a specified place with which the claimant is familiar, without being
accompanied by another person 9 points
15 (c) Is unable to get to a specified place with which the claimant is unfamiliar without being
accompanied by another person. 6 points
15 (d) None of the above apply. 0 points

The first question is: WHICH SOURCE OF INFO IS MORE RELIABLE?

The second question is also related to this descriptor. According to your guide The Best Possible ESA Claims for Mental Health & Learning difficulties (31 March 2011) I should be ticking NO, but the ESA50 questionnaire only allows me to choose between “Usually”, “Not very often” or “It varies”. WHERE IS THE “NO” OPTION?

Can you leave home on your own and go to places you don’t know?
Usually.
Not very often.
It varies.
If you are unable to go to places you don’t know, even if someone comes with you, for the majority of the time, tick No. You can give details of any variability in the Use this space box.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #63161 by Crazydiamond
Replied by Crazydiamond on topic Re:TWO QUESTIONS ABOUT Getting about/Going out
The descriptor as detailed in 15(c) is the correct interpretation, ie Is unable to get to a specified place with which the claimant is unfamiliar without being accompanied by another person. (6 points)

Insofar as the 'no' option to which you refer on the ESA50 arises, it does not as you say have this designated on the form, but there is nothing to prevent you from striking through the options as listed and simply write 'no' in prominent lettering next to the deletions, if you can't manage this activity at all.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
12 years 8 months ago #63162 by Derek4
Hi Agatha

The WCA score sheet that you have is for the 'old' WCA and no longer applies.

Activity 18 (getting about) has become activity 15 (going out) in the 'new' WCA.

Regards

Derek

• Agatha
  • Topic Author
12 years 8 months ago #63163 by Agatha
Crazydiamond wrote:

Insofar as the 'no' option to which you refer on the ESA50 arises, it does not as you say have this designated on the form, but there is nothing to prevent you from striking through the options as listed and simply write 'no' in prominent lettering next to the deletions, if you can't manage this activity at all.

:S

Thank you.

Another question: Why does the guide say “even if someone comes with you”? It is not consistent with descriptor 15(c):

If you are unable to go to places you don’t know, even if someone comes with you, for the majority of the time, tick No.

I think... I hope it is a mistake and it should read:

If you are unable to go to places you don’t know, UNLESS someone comes with you, for the majority of the time, tick No.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.