ESA (Support Group) confirmation

• Mhambi
  • Topic Author
12 years 8 months ago #63155 by Mhambi
ESA (Support Group) confirmation was created by Mhambi
Hi all,

When I first heard I had to go for a Medical my first thought was
"How the heck do I get there?"
As the nearest ATOS Centre is over 10 miles away, neither I nor my wife has transport (at all) and I am lucky if I can walk as far as across the road.
I got then the info from 'Benefits and Work' that you could apply for a home examination.
I did so (even it cost me £15 for the Doctors letter to be faxed from the surgery to ATOS) but I got eventually a 'real and understanding' doctor visiting me and we did my medical within 13min. (I know that because I recorded it, just in case).
I can tell she knew what she was doing having worked as a nurse myself till my back problems set in and I was complimented out of work without a pension or anything (compensation claims where unheard of in 1995).
So, now I can't walk any more and was in a state of panic of loosing my IB.
Well, today I got the 'dreaded' call that I was placed on the 'support group'.
Thanks to this site as I never know you could have your medical at home.
ATOS has some good personal, my example shows this but I guess they are only very thin on the ground.
Now I am applying (again) for DLA etc. and hope that this time I be able to get that. Last time I tried 5 years back I was 'too well' and was able to walk further then 200 meters.
I rather would be able to walk and dress myself and do my own hygiene then getting DLA but I can't do it so I guess it is only fair to ask now?
If they would have called me yesterday they could have congratulated me to my birthday which I spend all day and night on the bed even it was nice outside.
All I want is being able to get out and about again and I do hope I get my DLA as I could get myself a Mobility Scooter then, now there is something I would like to celebrate to.
Never mind, one step at the time and many thanks to Benefits and Work for all your help.
I sincerely hope that this little good story picks some people up and shows that it is not only doom and gloom and that there are decent people working within ATOS (even I did not believe it myself) BUT they are thin on the ground.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #63254 by Suzy3
Replied by Suzy3 on topic Re: ESA (Support Group) confirmation
Well done on getting into the support group with your back problems :)
Can I ask you how long they have stated you will be in the support group?
Thank you for a really 'positive post', I am really worried about my impending claim.
xx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.