× Members

ESA - Limited Capability for Work questionnaire

• phild
  • Topic Author
12 years 8 months ago #63226 by phild
Just a quick question. I'm currently on DLA (higher rate care, lower rate mobility) and in receipt of Income Support.

Received written notification that they want to assess me for Employment and Support allowance, as IS is being phased out. I received the phone call, as stated in the initial letter this time last week to talk me through it and inform me that a questionnaire/form will be sent out. So far, no problem (famous last words?)...

Anyway, just wondering how long these forms usually take to arrive by post? It's been a week now and I'd really like to be getting on with it and getting it out of the way.

Also (just to help allay some of the fears going around in my head at the moment), supposing that the worst comes to the worst and I get turned down for ESA and have to appeal and all that... How would that affect my DLA (which has been awarded to me till 2015), if at all?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #63232 by Gordon
phild

From what I understand the ESA50 should arrive 2-3 weeks after the phone call.

If you fail to be transferred to ESA then it should not affect your DLA as they are seperate benefits, however, there are some overlaps in the criteria between the two.

If you were found, as an example, to be able to walk more than 200m as a result of the ESA assessment, then there is the potential for your DLA to be re-assessed if you were receiving Higher Rate Mobility, which of course, takes into account how far you can walk.

That said, it is still reasonably rare for this to happen, so I would not overly worry about it.

Hope this explains it.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
12 years 8 months ago #63256 by smc
I got first letter then about week later the phone call and then another week later the ESA50 arrived.

More
12 years 8 months ago #63263 by Bill
Hi,

I am awaiting my changeover from IB to ESA, meanwhile in May 2011 I had a DLA medical. The EMP stated that I could walk less than 50mtrs and that I had severe functional restriction in all 3 areas of my spine.

The EMP also noted at the end of his report that my condition would not improve in the long term. I was awarded my DLA indefinitely.

My question is, I intend to send copies of the EMP report with my form (when I get it) but wondered if anyone knows how long it might be before this report is considered to be out of date?

If I dont get my IB to ESA form for another year for example, will this medical report still be considered as evidence?

Thanks, as always :blink:

Bill

• Survivor
12 years 8 months ago #63264 by Survivor
The report doesn't have a specific period of valididity. When you are considered for transfer to ESA, they will want up-to-date information, but you might still find the report helpful in showing the long-term nature of your condition, which might be relevant to whether they thought that you would recover quickly (or at all).

Do bear in mind that for ESA, it is not walking by itself that matters, but mobilising, i.e. either walking or using a wheelchair.

More
12 years 8 months ago #63265 by Bill
Hi Survivor,

Many thanks for that and your added comments have been duly noted.

Cheers ;)
Bill

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.