× Members

possible few hours work

More
12 years 7 months ago #66164 by carole
possible few hours work was created by carole
I am possibly able to get a few hours work spead across the week in mental health. Mainly working from home. This would be quite a step and im not overly confident that i would cope but would like to try and see how i manage as im desperate to get of benefits in the long term. Problem is it is only a few hours 8/10 per week. And not well paid. How would this stand with DLA I have just had a renewal I know i would have to inform them only i would not manage finanically without. I feel its a catch 22 as I cant do full time and opportunities are rare but this would be a start if i could do it.
Any advice?
many thanks
Carole

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Survivor
12 years 7 months ago #66165 by Survivor
Replied by Survivor on topic Re: possible few hours work
DLA is not an out-of-work benefit, so people in work can get it.

As you say, you must inform them that you are going back to work, but when you tell them that, you should also let them know how this affects your care and/or mobility needs. They may choose to reassess you, but this will not necessarily happen, depending on your needs.

To take a general example, if you cannot walk at all because you have no legs, and get HRM, going back to work will not change the fact that you cannot walk at all, but if you are going back to work because your ability to walk has improved, you would have to make this clear to the DWP. Obviously, your case may be less clear-cut than this.

More
12 years 7 months ago #66168 by carole
Replied by carole on topic Re: possible few hours work
Thanks for your reply Survivor. I have bipolar and did have a career until 9 years ago, and would love to pick it up again, problem is i just dont know if i will manage even just a few hours, I have gone down hill so much over the past year and that in part is because of the stress of benefits, i have become very parnoid and anxious, this may become easier if i didnt have to rely on benefits, so i wont know unless i try, i just dont want to set myself up to fail.
This has just come up in the past few days via someone i know so going to think alot over the weekend, some days i think i can walk on the moon, sadly other days i cant get out the door.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Survivor
12 years 7 months ago #66192 by Survivor
Replied by Survivor on topic Re: possible few hours work
Do bear in mind that if you go back to work, you may need extra support, so do look into this not just from the point of view of keeping your DLA, but also from the point of view of staying well. You may find the MDF's forum useful for discussing this. www.mdf.org.uk/?o=58415

Also, do bear in mind that if you can manage 16 hours a week, you may be entitled to tax credits, so it may be worth getting advice on this.

Meanwhile, if you go back to work and your condition worsens, you could make a fresh claim for ESA. If you are not already on it and the eventuality arises where you want to claim it, don't forget our guides.

Good luck.

More
12 years 7 months ago #66200 by carole
Replied by carole on topic Re: possible few hours work
Thank you Survivor

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.