× Members

Confused about ESA entitlement

More
12 years 7 months ago #68313 by BrianSkye
Confused about ESA entitlement was created by BrianSkye
I've recently received the dreaded letter and phone call about transfer from IB to ESA. I've been getting IB for the last 9 years.
While I wait for the ESA50 I'm confused as to my entitlement if I get awarded WRAG or support group. I understand the moves afoot to make contribution based entitlement limited to a year but am totally confused about the income based entitlement.

I can see immediately that WRAG group members will face the means test after a year but I'm unclear as to whether the means test is applicable to those in the support group. Can anyone tell me?

At the moment my ill health pension and capital would make me fail the means test so do I have to plan for having no ESA income after a year if the bill goes through unamended? :ohmy:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
12 years 7 months ago #68315 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Re:Confused about ESA entitlement
BrianSkye wrote:

I've recently received the dreaded letter and phone call about transfer from IB to ESA. I've been getting IB for the last 9 years.
While I wait for the ESA50 I'm confused as to my entitlement if I get awarded WRAG or support group. I understand the moves afoot to make contribution based entitlement limited to a year but am totally confused about the income based entitlement.

I can see immediately that WRAG group members will face the means test after a year but I'm unclear as to whether the means test is applicable to those in the support group. Can anyone tell me?

At the moment my ill health pension and capital would make me fail the means test so do I have to plan for having no ESA income after a year if the bill goes through unamended? :ohmy:

Hi BS,

Claimants who are given support group status will not be subject to the 1 year time limit, and therefore will not face a means test.

cheers

bro58

More
12 years 7 months ago #68316 by BrianSkye
Replied by BrianSkye on topic Re: Confused about ESA entitlement
I should also say that my partner is also on long term IB. This is looking like, whatever the result of both our re-assessments, we can look forward to losing all our IB income after a year. We may have tiny sickness pensions but we do not live like lords, life is very expensive on the Scottish islands.

More
12 years 7 months ago #68319 by BrianSkye
Replied by BrianSkye on topic Re:Confused about ESA entitlement
bro58 wrote:

Hi BS,

Claimants who are given support group status will not be subject to the 1 year time limit, and therefore will not face a means test.

cheers

bro58

That's encouraging. Now I've just got to make sure I get into the support group. It also means that if I get stuck in WRAG I won't have to attend any WFI's because I wouldn't get any money even if I did. :S

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.