× Members

Want to be considered for ESA support group

More
12 years 7 months ago #68378 by josiemcg
Hi, I’d like some advice please.

I have ME/CFS and was placed in the contributions based ESA WRAG in July of last year following an appeal after initially being turned down for ESA. My condition has worsened and I want to ask the DWP to consider placing me in the support group. I have 2 queries a) Can the DWP make the decision themselves or does my request automatically mean another appeal, and secondly b) Would I be better off making the request under the old schedule 3 (limited capability for work related activity) descriptors, or the new schedule 2 which replaces it. I may be mistaken but I think I read somewhere that after the 24th September (next Saturday) all requests will be considered under the new rules. I don’t know who else to ask – I can’t afford legal representation and the CAB couldn’t help me either first time around. It was thanks to your website that I managed to prepare a successful appeal last year. Hope you can help, especially if there is a deadline in a few days. Thanks, Pepi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pete17971
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #68401 by pete17971
Replied by pete17971 on topic Re:Want to be considered for ESA support group
Pepi wrote:

Hi, I’d like some advice please.

I have ME/CFS and was placed in the contributions based ESA WRAG in July of last year following an appeal after initially being turned down for ESA. My condition has worsened and I want to ask the DWP to consider placing me in the support group. I have 2 queries a) Can the DWP make the decision themselves or does my request automatically mean another appeal, and secondly b) Would I be better off making the request under the old schedule 3 (limited capability for work related activity) descriptors, or the new schedule 2 which replaces it. I may be mistaken but I think I read somewhere that after the 24th September (next Saturday) all requests will be considered under the new rules. I don’t know who else to ask – I can’t afford legal representation and the CAB couldn’t help me either first time around. It was thanks to your website that I managed to prepare a successful appeal last year. Hope you can help, especially if there is a deadline in a few days. Thanks, Pepi

Hi,

Yes the DWP can make the decision (either with or without you having to have a Work Capability Assessment - WCA - (Medical)). However if the decision is adverse, you have the right to elect to appeal to a tribunal again provided you apply in time.

You would be assessed under the WCA that came into effect in March 2011 - details are on this page in the members area:

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa

With regards to obtaining help, have you checked the find an adviser area of the Community Legal Advice website here:

legaladviserfinder.justice.gov.uk/AdviserSearch.do

Obviously obtaining face to face advice is preferable as your case can be gone through in detail to assess whether you would qualify for the Support Group and how 'safe' your current award is.

Pete
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by pete17971.

More
12 years 7 months ago #68409 by josiemcg
Replied by josiemcg on topic Re:Want to be considered for ESA support group
Thanks, Pete. I'll try and get some face to face advice and hope I have more luck this time around.

More
12 years 7 months ago #68410 by margymuggins
Replied by margymuggins on topic Re:Want to be considered for ESA support group
hi just got phone call from jobcentre plus saying i was being put in the wrag group so i will have to attend focused interveiws (went to 5 last year)but was told if too ill not to attend and ask to be put in support group now waiting for all this in writing i have had a medical for this

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.