× Members

CFS moving from IB to ESA

• itsme
  • Topic Author
12 years 6 months ago #68536 by itsme
CFS moving from IB to ESA was created by itsme
Hi, I've just joined this site and am looking for advice. I suffer from ME/CFS and have recieved my ESA50 form to (hopefully) move over from IB.
The whole form is a nightmare and its stressful just flicking through it! Im concerned that due to the variations and daily differences with symptoms i'm going to struggle answering the questions.
One day i may be able to do something that the next day i can't, or even in one day - the morning can be totally different to the afternoon.
I wondered if anyone else with ME/CFS has completed this form and how did you find it? Have you got any tips of what I might say. What was your outcome?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #68538 by Derek4
Replied by Derek4 on topic Re:CFS moving from IB to ESA
Hi itsme, welcome to the site.

The ESA claims guide that you will find in the 'MEMBERS ONLY' link on the left gives comprehensive advise on completing an ESA50 and covers fluctuating conditions. In many cases you have to be able to undertake the activity reliably and repeatedly in order not to score points.

The guides gives examples of how to describe your disability but I'm afraid it's not possible for anyone to advise you on what to write and there is little to gain from knowing what other members have written as the evidence you give must be tailored to your own personal circumstances.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Derek

More
12 years 6 months ago #68539 by greeneyedlad
Replied by greeneyedlad on topic Re:CFS moving from IB to ESA
i have me/cfs also. download & read all the guides in the members section. its a lot of reading but well worth it. it took me nearly a month 2 read & fill it all in. u can download a digital version of the ESA form & type ur answers & then print it out. that helped me with space etc or add extra pages. romour has it that its best to state some1 filled the form in for u or helped u as they r suspioious of any1 who is well enough 2 fill it in themselves, but thats just my opinion. i was placed in2 the WRAG group without having a medical so i was pleased, but am considering appealing 2 b placed in2 the support group, not sure what 2 do to be honest. good luck, hope this helps.

martin

• bro58
12 years 6 months ago #68543 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Re:CFS moving from IB to ESA
greeneyedlad wrote:

i have me/cfs also. download & read all the guides in the members section. its a lot of reading but well worth it. it took me nearly a month 2 read & fill it all in. u can download a digital version of the ESA form & type ur answers & then print it out. that helped me with space etc or add extra pages. romour has it that its best to state some1 filled the form in for u or helped u as they r suspioious of any1 who is well enough 2 fill it in themselves, but thats just my opinion. i was placed in2 the WRAG group without having a medical so i was pleased, but am considering appealing 2 b placed in2 the support group, not sure what 2 do to be honest. good luck, hope this helps.

martin

Hi GEL,

I don't know where you have heard the rumours regarding filling in one's own form.

I would always advise a claimant to fill their own forms in, unless their limitations prevented this.

It would obviously go against a claimant if they stated that they had problems using a keyboard, or pen, and then went on to fill the form in themselves.

If a claimant has any limitations with respect to filling in their own forms they should go into detail, such as how long it took, and the difficulties that they had.

cheers

bro58

More
12 years 6 months ago #68544 by mayflower
Replied by mayflower on topic Re:CFS moving from IB to ESA
Hi itsme

If you haven't already done so I suggest you look on line at the actionforME website as it has a free to access guide to the new ESA50; also the ME Association which has a guide available for a few pounds; & the Fluctuating Conditions Report prepared for phase 2 of Prof Harrington's review of the WCA. Combine one or more of these with the excellent B&W guides & the search facility here you will be well on your way.
Do look at the descriptors for the mental activities as well as the physical & if you think you meet one or more of the criteria for the Support Group you can include this at the end of the form under 'Other information'
Good luck
mayflower

• itsme
  • Topic Author
12 years 6 months ago #68549 by itsme
Replied by itsme on topic Re:CFS moving from IB to ESA
Hi

Thank you for your fast replies. I've read through the info in the Members section, its a lot to take in, im still finding it confusing!
Thats good news Martin, although what exactly does the your decision mean? Am i right in thinking you now have to attend 6 meetings about trying to get back into work? How does it effect your benefit, do you still get anything or are you now on a reduced amount?

Thank you Mayflower, i will take a look at those sites, all help is worth looking into!

I just dread the whole process and find it hard to explain how each day is a different story!

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.