× Members

Advice from a healthcare professional.

• paul
  • Topic Author
12 years 6 months ago #69172 by paul
Hi all,

About six months ago, I changed GP and have been to him only about four times since.

In June, I filed a claim for DLA sending a lot of information from my previous heart attacks from the hospitals concerned, and using the information supplied by this B&W site, (an excellent resource). I had a letter from the DWP saying they were going to contact my GP,(who obviously doesn't know me very well).

I have since been informed by the DWP that I am not entitled to any award for either mobility or care, giving their reasons for the decision as "my claim form, and advice from a healthcare professional".

Is it likely that IF my GP has written on the report form that the DWP sent him, he is unable to answer their questions because of his lack of knowledge about me,that the DWP have realised that I am "playing without a goalkeeper" (the doctor), and have gone to their own medical services dept. to issue a refusal, possibly using information from an earlier failed tribunal?

On the occassions of my last appointments with my GP, I have not discussed the DLA claim.

I do not want to ask the DWP what their reasons are for refusal, because the information I supplied was very compelling and feel they will offer only their own version without regard to mine.

Should I go for another tribunal and find out from the "bundle" they send me, what their reasons were?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #69175 by DRAGON2009
Replied by DRAGON2009 on topic Re:Advice from a healthcare professional.
I would stromgly urge you to ask for their reasons, and at the least, in the first instance, ask your GP whether he received a request for information , and keep your eye on the time limits for appeal

• michaelg
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #69176 by michaelg
Replied by michaelg on topic Re:Advice from a healthcare professional.
paul wrote:

Hi all,

About six months ago, I changed GP and have been to him only about four times since.

In June, I filed a claim for DLA sending a lot of information from my previous heart attacks from the hospitals concerned, and using the information supplied by this B&W site, (an excellent resource). I had a letter from the DWP saying they were going to contact my GP,(who obviously doesn't know me very well).

I have since been informed by the DWP that I am not entitled to any award for either mobility or care, giving their reasons for the decision as "my claim form, and advice from a healthcare professional".

Is it likely that IF my GP has written on the report form that the DWP sent him, he is unable to answer their questions because of his lack of knowledge about me,that the DWP have realised that I am "playing without a goalkeeper" (the doctor), and have gone to their own medical services dept. to issue a refusal, possibly using information from an earlier failed tribunal?

On the occassions of my last appointments with my GP, I have not discussed the DLA claim.

I do not want to ask the DWP what their reasons are for refusal, because the information I supplied was very compelling and feel they will offer only their own version without regard to mine.

Should I go for another tribunal and find out from the "bundle" they send me, what their reasons were?

Hi Paul

Sorry to hear your claim for DLA was unsucessful.

The reply you had from the DLA, we based our decision on healthcare professional etc is fairly standard response.

Whether they referred to your last failed claim is uncertain.

I do feel your best option is to appeal on form GL24, as you say you will receive the "bundle" which will contain all the evidence, as well as your GP's response (if contacted). You have one month in which to do this.

You don't have to be too specific at this point when you send back GL24 and the decison will be looked at again (reconsideration). If the decision is unchanged you can consider an appeal to a Tribunal.

You can withdraw your appeal at any stage.

DLA is not based solely on medical conditions, but the care needs that arise from them.

The guides in the orange section Member Only give full details on how to appeal.

I hope this is of assistance.

Kind regards

Michael
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by michaelg. Reason: duplicated words

• originaldave
12 years 6 months ago #69177 by originaldave
Replied by originaldave on topic Re:Advice from a healthcare professional.
paul wrote:

Hi all,

If you feel unable to ask your dr what he put on your dla form the relationship between you is not very good, why not then just ask his staff for a copy of whats on your notes they might charge you and with that information you can then get expert advise as what to do next

• michaelg
12 years 6 months ago #69181 by michaelg
Replied by michaelg on topic Re:Advice from a healthcare professional.
Hi

As xfactor says you can request written reasons of decision from DWP DLA unit, from personal experience they have been recently telling claimants that they can not supply anything further than the decision notice. But its worth asking. You can do this by ringing them on 08457 123456.

M

More
12 years 6 months ago #69208 by Doris
Replied by Doris on topic Re:Advice from a healthcare professional.
I have been in this position twice before and its looking like I will be there again. In my case, the GP hates the DWP forms and pretty much strikes them through. But in contrast, supplies me with incredible supporting medical reports to submit along with my application.

So in my case I have to secure a copy of the short form my GP submitted to the DWP in order to go back to him and obtain another letter (yet again) as to why he contradicted himself.

So I request a copy of the statement of reasons and GPs report, prior to appealing - just in case another GP letter may sway the decision maker and avoid the appeals treadmill.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.