× Members

Claiming ESA

More
12 years 6 months ago #69571 by margym
Claiming ESA was created by margym
Hello.
I am new to this forum and have just been refused ESA, most probably because I did not know this website existed at the time of filling in my questionnaire.
My question now is during my wait for a medical assessment I developed chronic back and neck pain due to a previous knee operation and a deterioration of the knee after the op. Can I now add this to my existing ESA application or do I have to submit a new application for ESA, even though I am appealing the first judgement and I have asked for reduced ESA whilst awaiting my appeal?
Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #69575 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:Claiming ESA
margym wrote:

Hello.
I am new to this forum and have just been refused ESA, most probably because I did not know this website existed at the time of filling in my questionnaire.
My question now is during my wait for a medical assessment I developed chronic back and neck pain due to a previous knee operation and a deterioration of the knee after the op. Can I now add this to my existing ESA application or do I have to submit a new application for ESA, even though I am appealing the first judgement and I have asked for reduced ESA whilst awaiting my appeal?
Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Thanks

I'm afraid you cannot add your new condition to your existing claim now that you are appealing. The Tribunal are only allowed to consider evidence and conditions that were, or would have been, available at the the time of the original Decision.

If your condition is significant enough that in itself it would prevent you working, and your GP will support you in this, then you can make a new claim for ESA due to a new condition. As it is a new claim you will have to go through the ESA50 and medical again. You will only be paid for one claim, whichever is has the largest payment.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
12 years 6 months ago #69576 by margym
Replied by margym on topic Re:Claiming ESA
Thanks for clearing up that matter for me Gordon, much appreciated.
Margy

More
12 years 6 months ago #69675 by Angee
Replied by Angee on topic Re:Claiming ESA
can You start a new claim for a different ailment after you have failed your appeal on a previous ailment over a year ago?

More
12 years 6 months ago #69676 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:Claiming ESA
Angee wrote:

can You start a new claim for a different ailment after you have failed your appeal on a previous ailment over a year ago?

The two factor to consider are the Decision date, not your tribunal one, and the six month rule.

In simple terms, the six month rule states, you can only make a new claim within six months of an adverse ESA Decision, if you can show that you have a new condition, which in itself would mean that you are unfit for work, or there has been a significant deterioration in your existing condition.

After the six months, you can make a new claim for ESA without restriction, based on your previous condition and/or a new one.

One thing to be aware of if you are appealing, is that making a new claim, in parallel, may restrict any back payments you might receive if you win your appeal.

Hope this explains it.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.