× Members

dla

• anon22
  • Topic Author
12 years 6 months ago #69769 by anon22
dla was created by anon22
hello all. I was recently on incapacity benefit/income support meaning I had to get doctors notes. Earlier this year I was called to an atos medical where I was found unfit for work and told I would no longer have to get sick notes. I thought this meant I was now on full incapacity but am told by the dwp that I am on income support. can this be right? either way I was thinking about applying for dla. Is this possible anymore and is it wise as I may have another medical for this which I may not pass when I get a different doctor/midwife/nurse/tea lady/undertaker or whatever. any advice. cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #69771 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:dla
anon22 wrote:

hello all. I was recently on incapacity benefit/income support meaning I had to get doctors notes. Earlier this year I was called to an atos medical where I was found unfit for work and told I would no longer have to get sick notes. I thought this meant I was now on full incapacity but am told by the dwp that I am on income support. can this be right? either way I was thinking about applying for dla. Is this possible anymore and is it wise as I may have another medical for this which I may not pass when I get a different doctor/midwife/nurse/tea lady/undertaker or whatever. any advice. cheers

It sounds like you are actually receiving Employment Support Allowance (ESA), and that this is probably Income Related ESA.

Yes, you can make a claim for DLA.

DLA and ESA are seperate benefits, and can be claimed at the same time without penalty.

It is quite likely that you will have to attend a medical if you claim DLA, but this will depend on your evidence and the content of your application form.

Have a read of our DLA claim guides, that explain the process in more detail and what you will be asked.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• anon22
  • Topic Author
12 years 6 months ago #69772 by anon22
Replied by anon22 on topic Re:dla
no apparently not. the person from dwp insisted it was income support.

More
12 years 6 months ago #69775 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:dla
anon22 wrote:

no apparently not. the person from dwp insisted it was income support.

If you made a new claim for a sickness/unfit to work benefit in the last three years then it would have had to have been for ESA, as this has been the only sick benefit available since September 2008.

If your claim is earlier than 09/2008 then you could be receiving IS because of incapacity, but there would be no need for you to have supplied Fit notes while being re-assessed earlier this year, so forgive me if I am confused.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• RachelPotter
12 years 6 months ago #69776 by RachelPotter
Replied by RachelPotter on topic Re:dla
Unfortunately, this is not the first time I have heard of the DWP insisting that IB is being paid when it is infact ESA.

It would be best to get something in writing so that you know exactly what you are being paid.

Best wishes,
Rachel

• anon22
  • Topic Author
12 years 6 months ago #69787 by anon22
Replied by anon22 on topic Re:dla
yeah I'll do that. the only thing is that my atos medical was before the esa medicals supposedly started (I wasn't in one of the trial areas)

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.