× Members

Physical and Mental health descriptors overlap

• jason
  • Topic Author
12 years 6 months ago #70148 by jason
Hi
I have both physical and mental health problems. However I feel the desciptors for me do overlap alittle because of my mental health. For example Part 1 moving around and using steps.

I can walk so far beacause I get severe pain after about 6 mintues. However because of my anxiety disorder which can do funny things to your body. My body freezes in fear sometimes and this will cause pain when I try to continue walking. I will then have to try to walk through this in pain aswell. This creates alot of anger within me and upset. I will also get the pain from my joint pain and fatigue that i get from my physical problems.

My question is this would I have to put that my mental and physical conditions overlap in the about my Illness and Disabilities section on the ESA 50 questionnaire or would I write that my mental and physical problems can overlap in a physical descriptor for example part 1 moving around and using steps?
Also how many metres could i do in about 5/6 minutes i wouldnt have a clue?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krato
12 years 6 months ago #70152 by krato
Hi Jason, I have similar queries. I have no physical problems, however due to my Avoidant Personality Disorder I find it difficult talking to people, I run out of breath, stutter, and get extremely anxious, sometimes even freezing so does this mean I should write in 6 and 7, communicating with people? The form doesn't make it at all clear. If I tick that I can communicate without problems then I am completely lieing! The Mental Health B&W help guide doesn't mention about overlaps as far as I can see. =[

• bro58
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #70161 by bro58
jason wrote:

Hi
I have both physical and mental health problems. However I feel the desciptors for me do overlap alittle because of my mental health. For example Part 1 moving around and using steps.

I can walk so far beacause I get severe pain after about 6 mintues. However because of my anxiety disorder which can do funny things to your body. My body freezes in fear sometimes and this will cause pain when I try to continue walking. I will then have to try to walk through this in pain aswell. This creates alot of anger within me and upset. I will also get the pain from my joint pain and fatigue that i get from my physical problems.

My question is this would I have to put that my mental and physical conditions overlap in the about my Illness and Disabilities section on the ESA 50 questionnaire or would I write that my mental and physical problems can overlap in a physical descriptor for example part 1 moving around and using steps?
Also how many metres could i do in about 5/6 minutes i wouldnt have a clue?

Hi J,

As there are two sections in the ESA50, covering mental and physical health and it is totally feasible that such conditions overlap, I would go into detail in both sections regarding your limitations.

This is explained better, in the ESA Guides in the MEMBERS ONLY area.

There is one for physical health, and another for mental health.

bro58
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by bro58.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.