× Members

Filling out ESA form by yourself

More
12 years 5 months ago #70363 by Derek4
Replied by Derek4 on topic Re:Filling out ESA form by yourself
Hi Charlie

On two occasions when I failed the PCA and WCA and had to appeal it was used in part to justify not awarding points for the descriptors. I doubt it would have made much difference if somebody else filled it in for me because there was other equally compelling evidence against me, such as watching TV, using a computer, attending the medical on my own, etc.

The time that I did get a friend to fill it in I passed without needing to appeal.

And on one occasion I filled in an IB50 myself and passed the PCA with over 20 points - the IB50 was not mentioned on the IB85 report.

I think the safest thing to do if you fill in the form yourself, is to mention on the form any help or difficulty you had, length of time it took and the level of stress or any other problems it caused. That way if the HCP states completed ESA50 without difficulty it will prove that the HCP didn't read the ESA50 and help discredit the report. As Rachel said it can be argued on appeal if necessary.

Regards

Derek

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #70375 by charlie1962
Replied by charlie1962 on topic Re:Filling out ESA form by yourself
Hi Derek

That's answered my question perfectly think i'll take my chances and fill it out myself thanks for your help.

All the best

Charlie

More
12 years 5 months ago #70381 by seabass
Replied by seabass on topic Re:Filling out ESA form by yourself
Hi Charlie,

I recently filled in the ESA50 myself (before discovering this wonderful site), and was put in the support group without a medical. I suffer a variety of physical and mental problems, and it took a while to fill it in, but I did put great emphasis on the stress it was causing me, physically and mentally, filling it in. I also had a very full medical statement from my GP which I'm sure was crucial in me getting in the support group.

Good luck, Steve F.

More
12 years 5 months ago #70427 by charlie1962
Replied by charlie1962 on topic Re:Filling out ESA form by yourself
Hi Steve

That's the best answer i've had because i too suffer with physical and mental problems, and you have given me some great advice on what to do and how to fill it in

All the best

Charlie

More
12 years 5 months ago #70430 by mangof
Replied by mangof on topic Re:Filling out ESA form by yourself
At the moment I'm thinking of filling in the form myself but stressing how long and stressful the process was. (And getting evidence from my mental health professional of the support she is giving me to do it- even if she is not actually physically writing it.)

I used to live in another town and a welfare rights adviser filled IB50s in for me - but she wrote as though I was saying the stuff and I signed that I had done it.

When the form actually comes through I am going to get an appointment with the local CAB (no other welfare rights here). But I thought I should try and start myself so I can tell them the relevant things. I don't know if the CAB advisor will actually fill in the form for me or not. I don't know how they work.

• bro58
12 years 5 months ago #70437 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Re:Filling out ESA form by yourself
displayname wrote:

At the moment I'm thinking of filling in the form myself but stressing how long and stressful the process was. (And getting evidence from my mental health professional of the support she is giving me to do it- even if she is not actually physically writing it.)

I used to live in another town and a welfare rights adviser filled IB50s in for me - but she wrote as though I was saying the stuff and I signed that I had done it.

When the form actually comes through I am going to get an appointment with the local CAB (no other welfare rights here). But I thought I should try and start myself so I can tell them the relevant things. I don't know if the CAB advisor will actually fill in the form for me or not. I don't know how they work.

Hi DN,

I'm not sure regarding CAB, I think it may vary from office to office, and may also be reliant on available funding etc.

It may be worth making enquiries at your local CAB now, to see exactly what services they offer.

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.