× Members

Re:Tribunal tomorrow (Saturday)

More
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #70663 by Derek4
Re:Tribunal tomorrow (Saturday) was created by Derek4
Hi Roseleen

Tribunals are not permitted to carry out medical examinations at a hearing. If an examination is required they would need to adjourn and arrange for a healthcare professional to carry out an assessment at a later date.

I'm not sure where you got your 'back problem definition' from. If it is from a DWP resource you need to bear in mind that the the DWP is a party to the proceedings just like you. Tribunals are not bound to follow DWP advice but will exercise their own judgement and the medical member of the tribunal may take a different view. Most importantly they have to listen to what you have to say about the effect of your back problems on your care/mobility needs.

Best of luck and please let us know how you get on.

Derek

Mod edit: it appears that the OP's post has mysteriously disappeared!
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by Derek4.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Roseleen
12 years 6 months ago #70709 by Roseleen
Replied by Roseleen on topic Re:Tribunal tomorrow (Saturday)
Thank you for your reply Derek, it seems my post has disappeared in the problems encountered this morning so your response is doubly appreciated :kiss:

I found the the info regarding spine issues not requiring care assistance on this site - it was in a document advising on different medical conditions discussing what each was, the care needed an he prognosis.

One of my concerns is that I will be seen as too independent - standing and walking any distance is unbelievably painful, but I have to walk to get to the loo... (ok on occasions I've crawled there) but how do you get that across to a tribunal. I would say it comes under the category "virtually" unable to walk but can anyone advise me on the right words or phrase?

• bro58
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #70711 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Re:Tribunal tomorrow (Saturday)
Roseleen wrote:

Thank you for your reply Derek, it seems my post has disappeared in the problems encountered this morning so your response is doubly appreciated :kiss:

I found the the info regarding spine issues not requiring care assistance on this site - it was in a document advising on different medical conditions discussing what each was, the care needed an he prognosis.

One of my concerns is that I will be seen as too independent - standing and walking any distance is unbelievably painful, but I have to walk to get to the loo... (ok on occasions I've crawled there) but how do you get that across to a tribunal. I would say it comes under the category "virtually" unable to walk but can anyone advise me on the right words or phrase?

Hi R,

Have a look at the DM Guide re Mobility DLA from this link. :

Page 37, 61251, onwards. :

www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/dmgch61.pdf

cheers

bro58
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by bro58.

• Roseleen
12 years 6 months ago #70813 by Roseleen
Well the tribunal has happened - but no result - I am to be notified by post.

I knew it was going to be tough... but the whole experience was extremely distressing. Criminals have more rights. I now know what a person on trial for the most heinous crime imaginable must feel. I came out of there feeling dirty, distressed and humiliated.

I will starve in the gutter before I go through another tribunal.

For example - I was recommended by my consultant to a pain clinic at the end of July and the chairman asked if it had helped. Now I am waiting for an appointment. I told him that I was waiting to attend (both my GP and I chased the appointment last week) but there was a waiting list. The Chairman laughed and said oh I don't believe that for a minute!

I also need a kytoplasty operation - which isn't available on the NHS... I was asked if I owned my house (which I do - on a mortgage) and the Chairman said I should remortgage my house to pay for it! (£18,000)

Still... you never know - I might get lucky and get a few quid - but I doubt it....

More
12 years 6 months ago #70824 by Derek4
Replied by Derek4 on topic Re:Tribunal tomorrow (Saturday)
Hi Roseleen

I'm sorry to hear of your nightmare experience at the hearing.

Tribunals have an obligation to be polite and sensitive to an appellant at all times. If you feel you have not been treated with respect you may wish to consider making a complaint to Tribunals Service.

www.justice.gov.uk/global/complaints/hmcts/index.htm

Good luck with the decision.

Derek

• Roseleen
12 years 6 months ago #70830 by Roseleen
Thanks for the link Derek - I'll bear it in mind. But to be honest I just want to walk away and not have to go through it again.

My best bet is to start a new claim (if the result is not positive) A lot of the fault lies with me - I have too much pride and hadn't told my GP in minute detail just how much care I did need - for example I feel that telling him that my hubby has to wipe my bottom is a step too far.

It seems that you have to tell the tribunal the most intimate details of your private life - and I'm really not comfortable with that.

Still... its made me realise just how flawed the system is and how strong and wonderful all the members of this site are. You all have my utmost respect for having the strength and guts to go through this and coming out the other side with your self respect in place.

Its appalling that we are treated this way!

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.