× Members

Incapacity Benefit Medical

More
12 years 5 months ago #70814 by willandable
Incapacity Benefit Medical was created by willandable
Hi everyone, i have been claiming IB and was sent for a medical in September my wife came with me, the Doctor explained to me that first she would talk about my medication then my illneses and about how it affected my daily life then she would examine me, she also explained that she was not being ignorent by not looking at me when asking the questions as she would be busy typing my replies. Well i was only in there for about 10 minuites when she stopped looked at a book then said thats all you can go now? i was not even examined
that was 6 weeks ago i have not heard anything surely i should of heard by now? or are they going to keep sending me for a medical am confused. :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pete17971
12 years 5 months ago #70817 by pete17971
Replied by pete17971 on topic Re:Incapacity Benefit Medical
willandable wrote:

Hi everyone, i have been claiming IB and was sent for a medical in September my wife came with me, the Doctor explained to me that first she would talk about my medication then my illneses and about how it affected my daily life then she would examine me, she also explained that she was not being ignorent by not looking at me when asking the questions as she would be busy typing my replies. Well i was only in there for about 10 minuites when she stopped looked at a book then said thats all you can go now? i was not even examined
that was 6 weeks ago i have not heard anything surely i should of heard by now? or are they going to keep sending me for a medical am confused. :(

Hi,

Do I gather this was a medical for Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) claims and reclaims for Incapacity Benefit are no longer permitted and all existing Incapacity Benefit claimants are being migrated to ESA?

In anycase as to how long one can wait for the result of ones claim following a medical (actually called a Work Capability Assessment) can and does vary around the country.

With the IB to ESA migration in full swing now it does seem to have slowed the process down somewhat. However until a decision is made on your claim you should continue to receive Incapacity Benefit.

I know waiting can be worrying but sadly there is no real way of 'hurrying up' the system, and even if you ring the DWP office dealing with your claim, they may still not be able to give you the result, but it maybe worth a call.

You should not be sent for another medical until at least after a decision is made, as part of the decision will determine how long your ESA will last before you are reviewed again based on the results of the medical you have had.

Pete

• Sparrow
12 years 5 months ago #70823 by Sparrow
Replied by Sparrow on topic Re:Incapacity Benefit Medical
I know waiting can be stressful but look at it this way. The longer they take to assess you the longer you will continue to receive IB and that applies to appealing as well when you do hear. The longer the DWP are slowed down by all the appeals the longer everybody wll continue to receive benefit.

• pete17971
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #70825 by pete17971
Replied by pete17971 on topic Re:Incapacity Benefit Medical
Sparrow wrote:

I know waiting can be stressful but look at it this way. The longer they take to assess you the longer you will continue to receive IB and that applies to appealing as well when you do hear. The longer the DWP are slowed down by all the appeals the longer everybody wll continue to receive benefit.

Hi,

Just to clarify, if you are found fit for work at the WCA or from your ESA50 form, then you can appeal the decision. Whilst you appeal you can claim ESA at the assessment rate, which may mean a substantial cut in income for most IB claimants.

If your appeal is upheld you will be moved into main phase ESA in whichever group and paid any back money owing.

Being transferred from incapacity benefit to employment and support
allowance

on this page:

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa

Pete
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by pete17971.

More
12 years 5 months ago #70923 by willandable
Replied by willandable on topic Re:Incapacity Benefit Medical
Thanks for the replies,yes Pete it is the medical to migrate from IB to ESA having been on IB for a number of years now, it just confused me when after looking in the book she stopped and said thats it i only got as far as saying what my illneses were. I just wonder if she decided that i should be examined again at a later date because i am waiting for possibly 3 operations?(after showing her the 3 letters saying i am on the waiting list).
As you say Sparrow it can be very stressful now knowing whats happening part of me wants to phone them but then i think leave well alone others i have spoken to have been notified within days but all were signed off sickness benefits so as you say the longer it is the better it is.
Must say a great big thank you to this site for the information allowing me to fill in the forms absolutly brilliant.

More
12 years 5 months ago #70934 by Derek4
Replied by Derek4 on topic Re:Incapacity Benefit Medical
willandable wrote:

she also explained that she was not being ignorent by not looking at me when asking the questions as she would be busy typing my replies.

Hi willandable

I hope you mean (or she meant) that she is not ignoring you whilst typing!

Atos HCPs are advised to occasionally glance and make eye-contact with the claimant while typing to avoid giving the claimant the impression that they are being ignored. Many of them try to explain at the beginning of the assessment that they will be doing a lot of typing while you are talking to them and offer assurance that you are still being listened too. :laugh:

I just wonder if she decided that i should be examined again at a later date because i am waiting for possibly 3 operations?(after showing her the 3 letters saying i am on the waiting list).

This is extremely unlikely as the HCP can only give advice in a medical report to the decision maker at the DWP for your current assessment. They can't choose to defer the assessment.

The length of time it takes for the DWP to reach a decision can vary considerably, but there's no harm in phoning JCP to enquire what the delay is if you want to.

Good luck with the outcome

Derek

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.