× Members

Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome

• The Thing
  • Topic Author
12 years 6 months ago #71293 by The Thing
Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome was created by The Thing
Hi I suffer from Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome & Vibration Induced Peripheral Neuropathy to both hands and have a report from the DWP stating this from a medical that was done for Industrial Disablement Benefit and the award was for life.

My hands tend to cramp up doing repetitive activities,and when my hands are exposed to cold they start to tingle then I suffer numbness in both hands which makes it very difficult to grip.

I was thinking of putting this on the ESA50 form to say I would not be able to use a wheelchair due to this condition and the way it affects me.

Has any one got any thoughts of whether this is a valid argument as not to be able to use a aid (wheelchair) regarding the mobilising descriptor.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pete17971
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #71295 by pete17971
Replied by pete17971 on topic Re:Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome
The Thing wrote:

Hi I suffer from Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome & Vibration Induced Peripheral Neuropathy to both hands and have a report from the DWP stating this from a medical that was done for Industrial Disablement Benefit and the award was for life.

My hands tend to cramp up doing repetitive activities,and when my hands are exposed to cold they start to tingle then I suffer numbness in both hands which makes it very difficult to grip.

I was thinking of putting this on the ESA50 form to say I would not be able to use a wheelchair due to this condition and the way it affects me.

Has any one got any thoughts of whether this is a valid argument as not to be able to use a aid (wheelchair) regarding the mobilising descriptor.

Hi,

You have not stated whether you have mobility problems in addition to your arm/hand problems.

Your argument would only really 'stand up' (no pun intended) if you have mobility problems as well as the 'wheelchair' descriptor is in relation to mobility. If you do not, then there would be no need or requirement to use a wheelchair, and your argument would probably be lost on that fact.

Pete
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by pete17971. Reason: clairty and spelling

More
12 years 6 months ago #71296 by lester
Replied by lester on topic Re:Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome
If this condition prevents you being able to self propel a wheelchair then you should stress this to the DM but I would advise testing yourself and inform the DM you have tried using a wheelchair and failed, dont just say it may prevent its use but it does prevent it, I know this, because I tried.

• The Thing
  • Topic Author
12 years 6 months ago #71320 by The Thing
Replied by The Thing on topic Re:Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome
pete17971 wrote:

The Thing wrote:

Hi,

You have not stated whether you have mobility problems in addition to your arm/hand problems.

Your argument would only really 'stand up' (no pun intended) if you have mobility problems as well as the 'wheelchair' descriptor is in relation to mobility. If you do not, then there would be no need or requirement to use a wheelchair, and your argument would probably be lost on that fact.

Pete

Hi Pete

Yes I have mobility problems as well so are you saying this should be put down on the ESA50 form.

More
12 years 6 months ago #71373 by Derek4
Replied by Derek4 on topic Re:Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome
Hi The Thing

If you have mobility problems and feel you satisfy any of the 'moving around' descriptors, I think it would be worth stating that you would not be able to use a wheelchair because of the problem you have with your hands.

Also consider what Lester has said. It may be preferable if you have the opportunity to try using a wheelchair, and if you are still unable to carry out the activity without discomfort, pain, extreme fatigue, etc. you could also give detail of this on the ESA50.

Good luck

Derek

More
12 years 6 months ago #71457 by penthesili
Replied by penthesili on topic Re:Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome
Good point, Derek.
I 'use' a wheelchair, but only when the problems with my hands (osteoarthritis, nerve damage and raynaud's syndrome) allow me the use of my hands, if you see what I mean. The rest of the time I sit in the wheelchair, but immobile because my hands don't work all the time. When they do work it's only possible to 'mobilise' for about 15-20 feet due to severe pain and fatigue. Which fits in with what's been said about 'repeatability, reliability and saftey'.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.