× Members

DLA Appeal - Cooking Test

More
12 years 6 months ago #71763 by dollyp
DLA Appeal - Cooking Test was created by dollyp
In the DWP response to my appeal against their refusal of Mobility and lower care, the DM states: "The purpose of the 'cooking test' is not to establish if a person can survive, or enjoy a reasonable diet without assistance. It is a notional test, a thought experiment, to find out the severity of the disability".

And later: "This is a hypothetical test of whether a person has the ability to perform the various tasks necessary to make a meal ...".

I'm not sure what to read into these statements. Either I can prepare a meal or I can't; and I can't. There seems little hypothetical about it. Am I missing something?

Other comments in the DM's response suggest the test is applied on the basis of the ingredients being available. This is the bit I struggle with, especially the added costs of necessary home delivery. Is this a fair or relevant argument to make at the appeal?

(The DM's comment that I "may prefer to have ready meals" is gratuitously insulting to me!)

David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• michaelg
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #71770 by michaelg
Replied by michaelg on topic Re:DLA Appeal - Cooking Test
David wrote:

In the DWP response to my appeal against their refusal of Mobility and lower care, the DM states: "The purpose of the 'cooking test' is not to establish if a person can survive, or enjoy a reasonable diet without assistance. It is a notional test, a thought experiment, to find out the severity of the disability".

And later: "This is a hypothetical test of whether a person has the ability to perform the various tasks necessary to make a meal ...".

I'm not sure what to read into these statements. Either I can prepare a meal or I can't; and I can't. There seems little hypothetical about it. Am I missing something?

Other comments in the DM's response suggest the test is applied on the basis of the ingredients being available. This is the bit I struggle with, especially the added costs of necessary home delivery. Is this a fair or relevant argument to make at the appeal?

(The DM's comment that I "may prefer to have ready meals" is gratuitously insulting to me!)

David

Hi David

To answer the last point first about ready meals, this would possibly be incorrect as the test is not about ready meals, but using proper ingredients to prepare and cook a meal.

Having your meals delivered is irrelevant, as far as the cooking test is concerned.

Please do read the B&W guides to DLA in the orange Members Only section.

Regards

Michael
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by michaelg. Reason: spelling

More
12 years 6 months ago #71775 by Crazydiamond
Replied by Crazydiamond on topic Re:DLA Appeal - Cooking Test
Although the following document is ten years old it is still relevant today:-

The DLA cooking test: food for thought

There was also an important decision by the House of Lords concerning the cooking test in 2003, but as you would expect from a court is laden with legal jargon. However, if you are prepared to wade through the document you may find some parts useful?

Moyna (Respondent) v. Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (formerly against the Social Security Commissioner) (Appellant).

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.