× Members

Just got my DLA form in the post ...

• missliana
  • Topic Author
12 years 5 months ago #72045 by missliana
Just got my DLA form in the post ... was created by missliana
Hello All,

I'm a newbie on here and this is my 1st post.

I made a call to the Benefit Enquiry Line last Friday, as recommended by quite a few people (including Local Council Benefit Advisor, Housing Association Manager).

My query to them was, though my Care and Mobility needs are quite high at the moment and have been for over 3 months now - I do not have a definite diagnosis at present as possibilities are being explored, therefore how am I able to say I will have these issues for a further 6 months?

The guy I spoke to was great and suggested I fill in the claim form to the best of my ability at present, hope for a more definite diagnosis and prognosis in the time it takes to fill the form out - and anything I discover after this time can be posted seperately to be added to my claim.

This makes some sense to me and I agreed for him to send my claim pack, which I recieved this morning (much quicker than the 8-10 days I was allowing) ... I have been using a Word Document to start putting my answers to the relevant questions.

But I'm still concerned about not having a definitive diagnosis and prognosis for my problems - Has anyone else ever done it this way and had a successful claim?

I hope this makes sense and I am not babbling - though, I have a tendency to waffle without getting to the point.

Any advice or stories of experience much appreciated.
Thanks in advance x

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pete17971
12 years 5 months ago #72065 by pete17971
Replied by pete17971 on topic Re:Just got my DLA form in the post ...
missliana wrote:

Hello All,

I'm a newbie on here and this is my 1st post.

I made a call to the Benefit Enquiry Line last Friday, as recommended by quite a few people (including Local Council Benefit Advisor, Housing Association Manager).

My query to them was, though my Care and Mobility needs are quite high at the moment and have been for over 3 months now - I do not have a definite diagnosis at present as possibilities are being explored, therefore how am I able to say I will have these issues for a further 6 months?

The guy I spoke to was great and suggested I fill in the claim form to the best of my ability at present, hope for a more definite diagnosis and prognosis in the time it takes to fill the form out - and anything I discover after this time can be posted seperately to be added to my claim.

This makes some sense to me and I agreed for him to send my claim pack, which I recieved this morning (much quicker than the 8-10 days I was allowing) ... I have been using a Word Document to start putting my answers to the relevant questions.

But I'm still concerned about not having a definitive diagnosis and prognosis for my problems - Has anyone else ever done it this way and had a successful claim?

I hope this makes sense and I am not babbling - though, I have a tendency to waffle without getting to the point.

Any advice or stories of experience much appreciated.
Thanks in advance x

Hi,

To claim Disability Living Allowance one needs to have mobility or care needs, resulting from some form of disability.

Any diagnosis is only of secondary importance, it is the level of either mobility need or care needs that counts.

Similarly it doesn't matter that you are not actually getting help with your needs, it is the fact that the needs show that care or mobility help is reasonably required.

It is perfectly possible to be awarded DLA without a definite diagnosis or prognosis.

Pete

• missliana
  • Topic Author
12 years 5 months ago #72074 by missliana
Replied by missliana on topic Re:Just got my DLA form in the post ...
Hello,

Thank you for your reply, I hope it doesn't seem silly that I would ask.

I definitely have both mobility and care needs - however, whether the Decision Maker would come to the same conclusion ... I don't know. I think you hear so many horror stories about DLA claims, so it's hard to have faith.

Many of my needs I do get support with and help for, however there are some more personal things which I persevere with regardless of the pain/fatigue it causes.

I am physically unable to walk without the aid of 2 crutches outdoors and indoors if I do not have something else to prop my myself on. I walk very slowly, mostly with one leg dragging and the other trembling. I am in a considerable amount of pain before I begin to walk.

My husband (of only 4 months) assists me with things such as bathing, washing and helping me up/down stairs, cooking dinners or at the least preparing things and lifting things for me and getting me into a comfortable position at night.
My children help to pull me out of bed in the morning when my back is still stiff after an hour of trying to stretch.

My mother and friends are all responsible for me leaving the house at all, without them I would not bother as my confidence has plummetted because of everything else.

Wow, how easily that flowed - funny how much easier it is to admit some of these things to an invisible face, someone who cannot see me.

I hate this soooo much, I am almost 26, a mother of three young children, a newlywed and have been off sick from work for 12 weeks (suffering for 14) because of all this! Not having a diagnosis or a medication that works is horrid. x

(I'd give anything right now to go back to my role of Carer of Others, not being Cared for by others) x :blush:

• pete17971
12 years 5 months ago #72078 by pete17971
Replied by pete17971 on topic Re:Just got my DLA form in the post ...
missliana wrote:

Hello,

Thank you for your reply, I hope it doesn't seem silly that I would ask.

I definitely have both mobility and care needs - however, whether the Decision Maker would come to the same conclusion ... I don't know. I think you hear so many horror stories about DLA claims, so it's hard to have faith.

Many of my needs I do get support with and help for, however there are some more personal things which I persevere with regardless of the pain/fatigue it causes.

I am physically unable to walk without the aid of 2 crutches outdoors and indoors if I do not have something else to prop my myself on. I walk very slowly, mostly with one leg dragging and the other trembling. I am in a considerable amount of pain before I begin to walk.

My husband (of only 4 months) assists me with things such as bathing, washing and helping me up/down stairs, cooking dinners or at the least preparing things and lifting things for me and getting me into a comfortable position at night.
My children help to pull me out of bed in the morning when my back is still stiff after an hour of trying to stretch.

My mother and friends are all responsible for me leaving the house at all, without them I would not bother as my confidence has plummetted because of everything else.

Wow, how easily that flowed - funny how much easier it is to admit some of these things to an invisible face, someone who cannot see me.

I hate this soooo much, I am almost 26, a mother of three young children, a newlywed and have been off sick from work for 12 weeks (suffering for 14) because of all this! Not having a diagnosis or a medication that works is horrid. x

(I'd give anything right now to go back to my role of Carer of Others, not being Cared for by others) x :blush:

Hi,

From what you have posted, you really have nothing to lose by applying for DLA.

Make use of the guides in the members area which will lead you through completing the form in your own words relative to your own care/mobility needs.

Please do not be deterred by 'horror stories etc' - everyday most DLA awards go through without problem. You only hear of them on forums such as this when there is a problem. However these cases are very much in the minority.

Good luck in applying anyway and please let us know the outcome.

Pete

• missliana
  • Topic Author
12 years 5 months ago #72079 by missliana
Replied by missliana on topic Re:Just got my DLA form in the post ...
Thank you, it is positive to hear someone else saying that I have nothing to lose by applying.

I have been looking through the Guide in the members area ... they are wonderfully written and helpful. And bit by bit the form looks a little less daunting.

I think half the problem is the form :(

Thank you for your wishes and I will of course keep you updated - either way. Though hopefully with a success story that will comfort anyone in my position at a later date

x

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.